• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cleaning Substrate

MotherOfRhubarb

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! Looking for advice, should I completely replace the loose substrate in my tank if my bearded dragon poops on it? Is spot cleaning or sanitizing the substrate a safe option? TIA.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello! Looking for advice, should I completely replace the loose substrate in my tank if my bearded dragon poops on it? Is spot cleaning or sanitizing the substrate a safe option? TIA.
I personally dont use a loose substrate for that reason -- bacteria etc grows in it along w/ impaction issues etc so I stay away from it and use a black mat from Zen Habitats - you can also get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank and clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 -- if you want a dig box in the tank w/ some plain top soil NOTHING IN IT like fertilizers etc -- mixed w/ some play sand for him you can do that -

MotherOfRhubarb

Bearded Dragon Egg
I personally dont use a loose substrate for that reason -- bacteria etc grows in it along w/ impaction issues etc so I stay away from it and use a black mat from Zen Habitats - you can also get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank and clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 -- if you want a dig box in the tank w/ some plain top soil NOTHING IN IT like fertilizers etc -- mixed w/ some play sand for him you can do that -
Thank you so much! I was having reservations because of the bacteria issue. I currently have non adhesive shelf liner in the tank and a small dig box, but I’ll plan to just get rid of the substrate since she pooped in it. Thanks again for the help

Latest posts