• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Claws?

Letreze

Bearded Dragon Egg
ok....so I don’t have a “true reptile” vet in the area and my Draco’s nails are getting too long. Could I take to a regular vet and get them cut for like $20.00 or so? Should I put some type of sandpaper in tank? Right now I have Repticarpet. I tried to cut them but he wasn’t having it. Any suggestions?

Treze

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You could ask a regular vet but I'm not sure if they would or not..
I have 3 dragons and only 1 will let me cut them while awake sometimes my female will on occasion... Here's what really works well for me:
I clip them at night once they are out for the night (asleep that is) So I put them on the counter and cover them up so they don't see what's going on and it actually keeps them calm.. I uncover 1 foot/leg out and gently clip, then move on to the other making sure that they stay calm and asleep all the while..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
A few pieces of tile in the tank can help keep the nails filed down. I usually do mine after a bath, sometimes they sit still for it and sometimes I can only get a few toes.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I think my babies nails could use a trim too, must admit im a bit nervous at the prospect of doing it by hand. I used to hate doing even the dogs nails and she was chilled. I had the crazy idea of sticking a long, thin strip of really fine sandpaper along the bottom of the glass as they both like to glass surf about half an hour a day. Thought they may as well get the nails done at the same time lol, not sure if that would work or not, probably better off going for the tiles or some nice flat rocks.

Letreze

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’m gonna try everything suggested. My arms look like I have a new kitten in the house. Never realized how sharp those claws were until now. He also has started whipping his tail at me when h doesn’t want to be bothered. Draco can be soooo sweet and other times so grouchy...lol what a character!

Latest posts