• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ceremic heater help

Murphy & CharLee’s Mom

Hatchling Dragon
I am looking into getting a ceremic heater for Murphy's tank. It is supposed to drop to single digits in my area in the next 3 days and my livingroom gets cold. Where would I put it? What do I need? What temp should I set the thermostat? Thanks in advance for helping. I'm going tonight to get everything.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am looking into getting a ceremic heater for Murphy's tank. It is supposed to drop to single digits in my area in the next 3 days and my livingroom gets cold. Where would I put it? What do I need? What temp should I set the thermostat? Thanks in advance for helping. I'm going tonight to get everything.
You need a dome w/ a ceramic socket - for a 40 gallon tank I would get a 100 watt if your living room gets cold - so make sure the dome you get handles a 100 watt bulb - you want temps at night no lower than 65 and no higher than 75 -- place on top of the screen center of your tank --

Murphy & CharLee’s Mom

Hatchling Dragon
You need a dome w/ a ceramic socket - for a 40 gallon tank I would get a 100 watt if your living room gets cold - so make sure the dome you get handles a 100 watt bulb - you want temps at night no lower than 65 and no higher than 75 -- place on top of the screen center of your tank --
Ok. Should I get a thermostat plug to regulate it?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok. Should I get a thermostat plug to regulate it?
I would try w/ out it -- I dont have mine on regulators and only use them on nights when its below zero- my tanks stay around 73 at night w/ the CHE - w/ out they drop down to around 68

Murphy & CharLee’s Mom

Hatchling Dragon
I would try w/ out it -- I dont have mine on regulators and only use them on nights when its below zero- my tanks stay around 73 at night w/ the CHE - w/ out they drop down to around 68
Ok sounds about the same. It usually drops to about 66 on a regular winter night, but it is supposed to be 3 degrees and windy on Friday so I wanted to be prepared. Thank you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sadie is there a certain dome I should be using or can it be any of the flucker or Zilla ones?
Any dome as long as it has a ceramic socket and is wattage compatible and I would get a deep dome- not wide but they are specified deep

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Any dome as long as it has a ceramic socket and is wattage compatible and I would get a deep dome- not wide but they are specified deep
How is your dragon

Murphy & CharLee’s Mom

Hatchling Dragon
How is your dragon
He is doing awesome!! I am getting his new 4x2x2 enclosure in the mail today! He is 7 months old, 6.2 oz, and 15 inches long. He still LOVES his crickets but I give him dubias during the day and kale. I have tried other greens and he is not interested at all. Even with putting bsfl on top. He gets the crickets for "dinner" and then basks for about 2 1/2 hours before bedtime. Every night when his lights go out I take him out and he falls asleep on me. The little nuzzling thing he does is so cute!! I let him lay on me for about half hour to an hour and then put I'm to bed in his hide covered up with his blanket I made out of an old pair of my pajamas lol. He loves to run around the bathroom lol. The tile helps with his nails also. I really am having so much fun with him. Thank you for asking Sadie!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He is doing awesome!! I am getting his new 4x2x2 enclosure in the mail today! He is 7 months old, 6.2 oz, and 15 inches long. He still LOVES his crickets but I give him dubias during the day and kale. I have tried other greens and he is not interested at all. Even with putting bsfl on top. He gets the crickets for "dinner" and then basks for about 2 1/2 hours before bedtime. Every night when his lights go out I take him out and he falls asleep on me. The little nuzzling thing he does is so cute!! I let him lay on me for about half hour to an hour and then put I'm to bed in his hide covered up with his blanket I made out of an old pair of my pajamas lol. He loves to run around the bathroom lol. The tile helps with his nails also. I really am having so much fun with him. Thank you for asking Sadie!!
Sounds great- are you feeding the insects 2 times a day? He should be getting those 2 times per day and I am glad he's heating his salads:)

Murphy & CharLee’s Mom

Hatchling Dragon
Sounds great- are you feeding the insects 2 times a day? He should be getting those 2 times per day and I am glad he's heating his salads:)
Yes. He gets a big bowl of dubia to eat during the day. He doesn't eat all of them at once. Most times there are about 5 or more left. He eats as soon as he gets up cause everything is already in there. He gets crickets for dinner. About 15 or so depending on size. Salad bowl is in there al day also. He usually has a few bites in the morning and picks throughout the day. He has a water bowl in there but it mainly is used for humidity. I gut load all his live food so he is well hydrated also. I've learned so much from this group and YOU! I can't thank you enough!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes. He gets a big bowl of dubia to eat during the day. He doesn't eat all of them at once. Most times there are about 5 or more left. He eats as soon as he gets up cause everything is already in there. He gets crickets for dinner. About 15 or so depending on size. Salad bowl is in there al day also. He usually has a few bites in the morning and picks throughout the day. He has a water bowl in there but it mainly is used for humidity. I gut load all his live food so he is well hydrated also. I've learned so much from this group and YOU! I can't thank you enough!
Awesome-- I am glad to hear -- what is the humidity in the tank? Are you using a analog hygrometer? If so I would invest in a digital probe hygrometer they are more accurate- humidity helps w/ shedding -

Murphy & CharLee’s Mom

Hatchling Dragon
Awesome-- I am glad to hear -- what is the humidity in the tank? Are you using a analog hygrometer? If so I would invest in a digital probe hygrometer they are more accurate- humidity helps w/ shedding -
All probe gauges for temp and humidity. The humidity stays around 24 to 35%

Murphy & CharLee’s Mom

Hatchling Dragon
Sadie, do you think it would be ok if I put that t8 hood light (I still have it from when I didn't know I needed t5) on the side of the new enclosure just for more light? Not to serve any other purpose but light on the cool side. I have the basking light and t5 tube light on the basking side.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sadie, do you think it would be ok if I put that t8 hood light (I still have it from when I didn't know I needed t5) on the side of the new enclosure just for more light? Not to serve any other purpose but light on the cool side. I have the basking light and t5 tube light on the basking side.
If all you need is more light use a LED household bulb -- they dont give off heat - you may haft to buy another dome - you can use like a 40 watt regular bulb as well the old standard household bulbs - they will give off some heat but not much w/ the low wattage --

Latest posts