• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ceramic tile for a BD?

Mr.Poodie2U

Bearded Dragon Egg
I was in Florida last week to meet with a guy who had 50 BD. Of the 50 there were 4 different breeds and a few mixed breeds he created. Very interesting. The next thing that was absolutely u thought of by me was his tank set up for a few of them. He had all the tanks set with the regular gadgets but about 20 of them had ceramic tile on the tank bottom as flooring. He gave the reason why he did this and although it didn't cover entire tank I thought for sure it would be too hot. He had the cool spot on the other side but still it seemed just a bit much.
Judging from his years of experience and the success of constant offspring, I guess he knows what is best for his BD. Has anyone used floor ceramic tiles in their tanks before and if so was your basking bulb under 125W?

Ron G

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I use ceramic tile in the basking part of my tank. It is easy to clean and my BD always lays on it. I highly recommend using it. It is also inexpensive and comes in some nice sand looking patterns and textures. You can pick up the tiles at Home Depot or Lowes. I suggest getting the largest size tile that will fit in your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vic

Hatchling Dragon
Love using ceramic tiles, helps file their nails and is so easy to clean. Now that Skippy is getting big, newspaper would have been a nightmare to change. As for heat, we use it on both sides, hot and cool. He goes where he feels comfortable but most of the time he hangs in his hammock on the basking side anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Vic

Hatchling Dragon
Love using ceramic tiles, helps file their nails and is so easy to clean. Now that Skippy is getting big, newspaper would have been a nightmare to change. As for heat, we use it on both sides, hot and cool. He goes where he feels comfortable but most of the time he hangs in his hammock on the basking side anyway.

Just make sure to get something a little textured so that your BD doesn't slide around when walking or running around after prey.

Mr.Poodie2U

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just make sure to get something a little textured so that your BD doesn't slide around when walking or running around after prey.

Thanks for the info. i don't plan on changing my set up. i dont want to stress them its just i never saw ceramic tile in the tank before to know thatv it was safe not to over heat the enclosure . I'm glad skippy loves it. where is skippy's pic?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I use tile in both of my set ups and they cover all of the floor, easy clean up, holds temps better, and helps with nails.

Vic

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks for the info. i don't plan on changing my set up. i dont want to stress them its just i never saw ceramic tile in the tank before to know thatv it was safe not to over heat the enclosure . I'm glad skippy loves it. where is skippy's pic?
IMG_20170123_183948.jpg

Vic

Hatchling Dragon
Skippy is 6 months old. My daughter and I adore him.

Faerieweird

Bearded Dragon Egg
I use ceramic tile in the basking area under his lizzard lounger and tree and it was a life savor for sure. If it wasn't for the tile i wouldn't have easily noticed the change in his stool. I was able to get him to the vet right away to get treated for a intestinal parasite he got from the breeder.

ChelsG427

Bearded Dragon Egg
I use ceramic tile in the basking part of my tank. It is easy to clean and my BD always lays on it. I highly recommend using it. It is also inexpensive and comes in some nice sand looking patterns and textures. You can pick up the tiles at Home Depot or Lowes. I suggest getting the largest size tile that will fit in your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey! I’m completely new to my beardies and have ceramic tile to put down instead of the exxo terra mat. Do I need to try to sand it, to make it rougher? Or will my baby beardies be able to move around just fine? I just don’t want them to slide around everywhere, but I know by this forum that cleanup is going to be so much easier! Thanks in adance!

Vic

Hatchling Dragon
Hey! I’m completely new to my beardies and have ceramic tile to put down instead of the exxo terra mat. Do I need to try to sand it, to make it rougher? Or will my baby beardies be able to move around just fine? I just don’t want them to slide around everywhere, but I know by this forum that cleanup is going to be so much easier! Thanks in adance!
I would not use the sand. If you can, scuff the tile to make it rough, if the tile is smooth. You can scuff it with Sand paper. However, cleanup is real easy. Helps with the nails also.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ChelsG427

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would not use the sand. If you can, scuff the tile to make it rough, if the tile is smooth. You can scuff it with Sand paper. However, cleanup is real easy. Helps with the nails also.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thank you! I have sand paper to rough it up, but I can already tell this is way better than the sand mat I had before. They don’t seem to be sliding but roughing it up would give them a little more grip! Thanks again!

digitalohm

Bearded Dragon Egg
when lining a tank with ceramic tile, are there any concerns with sealing it using grout or anything else? From the previous picture on the thread it looks as if the tiles were just laid in, I'd be concerned with insects making a dash for those areas :/

Latest posts