• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cats and BDs.

dhall79

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
For those of you that have cats, hiw do you keep them off the top of the beardy cage?

Sent from my Galaxy 4 using Tapatalk 2.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
We used to have leopard geckos and Sasha would always jump on top of their tank drove me crazy, she actually burned herself on the light once and it didn't stop her. I was worried when we got our bearded dragon that she would do the same so I gave her places to sit that were around the tank. We put our tank on an old desk that had a pull out shelf. With the tank on it there is about 6 inches of sitting room next to it where she could sit and we also leave the shelf out so she can sit on that. This puts her at eye level with things and since Dexter doesn't really move around a lot she can just sit in one space. At first she LOVED it and was in there all the time I included her with feedings and she would come in and sit and watch Dexter eat. Now she doesn't really care. I will catch her sometimes sitting on the shelf looking but it's not for very long.

Dexter out of the tank is a different story! I have 3 cats total and 2 of them can sit near Dexter and not care but Sasha always has to try to touch. We are still working on that.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good luck with this. My brother's got three adult cats and several kittens. (He found a feral Mama cat and kittens.) He took care of them and was trying to give the kittens homes. (He might not be able to because no one really wants them. )

I won't let Allie near his cats. They're very mean and territorial because of the Mama cat being in the house. Both scratched our Mom on two different occasions and she's got Diabetes.

dhall79

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Good luck with this. My brother's got three adult cats and several kittens. (He found a feral Mama cat and kittens.) He took care of them and was trying to give the kittens homes. (He might not be able to because no one really wants them. )

I won't let Allie near his cats. They're very mean and territorial because of the Mama cat being in the house. Both scratched our Mom on two different occasions and she's got Diabetes.

Put an ad in the newspaper for free "farm cats". I don't know if there are many farms in your area, but there are plenty near me. Farmers are often looking for cats that may not be the best for in house. But could do a great job reducing local pets. Cats that have a little wild in them are most always great hunters. Also means great hunter in your home, for whatever the pray may be.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They're plenty of farmers here. I would take one, but with three dogs, they don't exactly like cats.

We had a family of rats in our crawlspace and we threw some poison food in there. They haven't come back, but for three nights straight, all the dogs in the neighborhood were barking. The kittens are trained for the litter box.

dhall79

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
We used to have leopard geckos and Sasha would always jump on top of their tank drove me crazy, she actually burned herself on the light once and it didn't stop her. I was worried when we got our bearded dragon that she would do the same so I gave her places to sit that were around the tank. We put our tank on an old desk that had a pull out shelf. With the tank on it there is about 6 inches of sitting room next to it where she could sit and we also leave the shelf out so she can sit on that. This puts her at eye level with things and since Dexter doesn't really move around a lot she can just sit in one space. At first she LOVED it and was in there all the time I included her with feedings and she would come in and sit and watch Dexter eat. Now she doesn't really care. I will catch her sometimes sitting on the shelf looking but it's not for very long.

Dexter out of the tank is a different story! I have 3 cats total and 2 of them can sit near Dexter and not care but Sasha always has to try to touch. We are still working on that.

Good call. We were trying to keep the cats away completely. Which meant our young one is that much more interested. There is no space around the edges, so she gets up on top of the screen.:eek:

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The first time I let Sasha get real close to Dexter she tapped her on the head, I think she was trying to get her tail. Ever since then I keep a close eye on things. Sasha is learning to keep a distance from her, she likes to come up and do that initial sniff and then she backs off a bit. Sasha is also the baby so she gets a little jealous when I am with someone other than her :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You could try putting packing tape on the screen in places where there is no light fixture. That usually works for me when I want to keep cats off of something.

ravenwolf

Juvenile Dragon
My beardies are in a room my cats don't go in but I can imagine it would be an issue especially the heat the tops of the vivs can get. Perhaps putting a piece of polystyrene on top might insulate the heat into the viv and keep the top cooler

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yesterday I had Dexter on the couch and my oldest cat Isis decided to see what she was about. She went right up to Dexter and gave her a good sniff over. Isis is front declawed so I wasn't worried. Dexter closed her eyes and took in all the attention! Then Isis sneezed on her! I got the biggest stink eye like "why'd you let her do that"! LOL!

Latest posts