• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

cat scratch

guitarsage1

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
don't know what to do I just found my beardie on the floor all puffed up. and he has a scratch or more like a puncture wound on his back leg its not very big the size of a cats claw. he seems to be ok . I just don't know if I should try to wash the wound leave it be. he's about 12 inches and very healthy. I normally put him on the window screen and close the window so the cats can't get him. but I must of left it open enough for him to get out, big mistake. should I let him take a bath I'm at a loss of what to do since I live in a rural area and don't even know of a vet in my state that deals with lizards.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Is the wound deep? Any blood drawn?

I've used Polysporin on one of my beardies when he got a cut on himself.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ouch! If it is not deep and no bleeding is continuing, you can give him a bath and put a little neosporin on the cut. Keep an eye on it. If it looks infected or doesn't look like it is healing right, let us know and we'll try and find a herp vet in your area.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree about keeping an eye on it. But for a short time. If you see any changes for the worse call a vet immediately. Keep it clean and keep him away from the cats.

Here is a list by state of vets
http://www.anapsid.org/vets/#vetlist

guitarsage1

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
it doesn't look deep and is not bleeding anymore. I will give him a bath and try the neosporin I do have some vetropolycin which was for one of the cats and seems close to neosporin should I use that instead of neosporin. thanks for the input. by the way I live in southern new hampshire I have searched for a herp vet to no avail. but didn't search hard thanksagain I'll let you know how things are doing.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just a thought.... topical antibiotics should be used close to lights out, as those tend to react negatively with UVB.
Hope this helps.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's rare that ointments used topically hold photo sensitive properties. The drugs that carry those properties are generally for long term use.

Vetropolycin is made up of three antibiotics, namely Bacitracin, Neomycin, and Polymyxin. Not really the correct mix for a cat scratch. But it's do able.

You'll want to wash the area with betadine solution to flush out bacteria. Then apply the ointment. Use it generously, but don't goop it.

You'll watch for any type of irritation to area such as swelling, redness, or the dragons dark coloration and listless behavior.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I misunderstood that information.. I apologize for the mis information all.