• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

cat scare

Lynn3

Bearded Dragon Egg
We own a cat, and just received a wonderful beardie a couple of weeks ago. He belongs to my daughter and is less than a year old. My daughter is at camp, and while we were at work today, the cat got in her room and apparently spent a great deal of time sitting right next to the beardie ' s enclosure scaring him. I feel terrible. He was so secure around people by being held and socialized. Is this going to have a profound effect on him? I hope it didn't ruin him by being so scared. I was able to pet him later this evening, down his back and top of head, but he is still very dark. I need some advice and reassurance. Thanks!

Tammy edwards

Hatchling Dragon
First off you need to check that his temps are correct I myself have a bearded dragon that doesn't mind being touched for a short while but when handled jumps out of our hands first off I would suggest you let him get used to having your hands in his tank whether it be u just placing it by him for a couple of minutes every day a couple times a day and also petting him if he lets u eventually pick him up but hold him some he is inside the tank so that if he jumps it's a safe distance for him and eventually bring him out of his tank bearded dragons have the own personality I have four and one is constantly stood up on the glass waiting to come out the other will give or take whether to come out but is pretty happy cwtched up to his log also some bearded dragons take longer to settle into their new environment than others I wouldn't blame yourself but he will eventually get used to you all and be a happy dragon :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Tammy has some good advise. I don't think the beardie is permanently scared from the cat sitting next to his tank. Just make sure the cat can't get into the tank.

Tammy edwards

Hatchling Dragon
I have a dog and he is always by the tank looking at the dragons and the dragons just stare back I really wouldn't worrie the cat has to get used to the dragon and the dragon has to do the same with the cat :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Luci's tank is on the bottom shelf and I find that he tends to look down to see where the cat is at.