• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cat attack

GeoffreyDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all. This is my first post on here and sadly not a great one. I've been reading through loads of forums on here with lots of great advice.

I got Geoffrey about a month ago. He's now 5 months old and has always been really active, eating well, pooping well, having baths.

Yesterday I forgot to put the lock on his viv (2x2 with strip uvb bulb, heat bulb, he was on calcisand but is now on newspaper) and he got out. Came home to find him on the floor with his mouth wide open and cat fur in his mouth. Pulled the fur out and put him back in his viv.

Got hold of an emergency vet and took him up there. The vet said he has two very very small cuts from the cats teeth (the cat only has two teeth) and a scratch to his eye (it's bright red). Vet said the eye is responding to light which is a good sign but there's still a chance he may not be able to see out of it. Vet gave me drops for the eye and some iodine for the cuts.

This morning he is very lethargic. I put water on a spoon and dripped it over his mouth, he drank a bit. I also put him in a shallow bath but he just stood there. The difficult bit is getting the drops in his eye, he won't open it, or when he does its not for long enough for me to get them in. Managed to get some in but he was getting so lethargic and stressed I put him back in his viv under the heat where, as I write this, he's just sat up a bit and opened his mouth to regulate his Temps

Not sure what I'm looking for by writing this, I guess any advice would be welcomed. Any warning signs I should look out for? I'm so upset by all of this, I feel like such a horrible person for letting this happen
icon_sad.gif

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I'm so sorry this happened. It's possible that he's just a bit sore today. Not sure if the vet told you but you should dilute the iodine before applying it to the cuts. Just try your best with the eye drops, if he opens even a little bit then it's going to help. I would also contact an actual exotic vet and have him checked out because sometimes those emergency vets don't have a lot of experience with beardies.

WTG for your guy fighting back! A mouthful of fur sounds like he stood his ground.

GeoffreyDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm so sorry this happened. It's possible that he's just a bit sore today. Not sure if the vet told you but you should dilute the iodine before applying it to the cuts. Just try your best with the eye drops, if he opens even a little bit then it's going to help. I would also contact an actual exotic vet and have him checked out because sometimes those emergency vets don't have a lot of experience with beardies.

WTG for your guy fighting back! A mouthful of fur sounds like he stood his ground.

Hi Patsy

Thank you for your reply.
The vet was a certified exotic vet, I travelled over an hour to get to him. He gave me Tamodine and when he used it, he didn't dilute and it doesn't say to on the instructions?

Geoffrey is doing much better, he's actually managed to eat 6 small hoppers and has had a few bouts of activity. He's also had a poo.

Managed to get a fair bit of the drops in, he's opening it a lot more too.

Will leave him for another hour or so and give him a bath with some of the Tamodine added in to make sure I got all of the cuts.

Oh yes! The cat hasn't gone anywhere near his viv (lock firmly on!) and she's actually missing a small chunk of fur on her neck so he definitely put up a great fight!

Fingers crossed he continues to improve and is back to his normal mischievous self soon :)

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi Patsy

The vet was a certified exotic vet, I travelled over an hour to get to him. He gave me Tamodine and when he used it, he didn't dilute and it doesn't say to on the instructions?

Geoffrey is doing much better, he's actually managed to eat 6 small hoppers and has had a few bouts of activity. He's also had a poo.

Will leave him for another hour or so and give him a bath with some of the Tamodine added in to make sure I got all of the cuts.

Oh yes! The cat hasn't gone anywhere near his viv (lock firmly on!) and she's actually missing a small chunk of fur on her neck so he definitely put up a great fight!

Fingers crossed he continues to improve and is back to his normal mischievous self soon :)

Happy to hear he is opening his eye a little more; and eating a little. Sounds like with a little rest and continued watch and care he should come back to normal.

What a champ to fight back and stand his ground against a larger opponent. Brave beardie.

My cat fortunately is a scardy cat. I showed him my dragon and he ran away....

I hope to hear more good positive news back from you guys in the future!

Hoping for a quick recovery!

GeoffreyDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you :) you should see the chunk he took out of the cat! Don't think she'll be bothering him again (not that I'll let her anywhere near him again!)

I'll be sure to keep everyone informed. I've learned lots from this experience so there's an upside from all of this :)

Beardiegirl27

Hatchling Dragon
Aww prob just stressed out from all of that action! Could have been a lot worse, so be thankful!
Glad to hear your beardie is ok! Keep us updated! ;)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Hi Patsy

I just looked up Tamodine, I would't dilute it. It's specifically for reptiles. We have something here called Betadine that is an iodine wound cleanser for people that can be used on reptiles too if you dilute it.

So glad to hear he is feeling better.

GeoffreyDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you all again, you guys have been the nicest out of all the forums I've posted on. Rather than help, they've been slyly telling me off for keeping him in an 'unsafe' environment :/ I'm well aware I made a mistake and trust me, won't make it again. He's doing OK this morning, a bit slow still and it looks like he's starting to shed. Won't open his bad eye again but I'll give him a few hours to wake up.

I got in touch with the vet and he said not to dilute as it's already diluted enough for him.

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you all again, you guys have been the nicest out of all the forums I've posted on. Rather than help, they've been slyly telling me off for keeping him in an 'unsafe' environment :/ I'm well aware I made a mistake and trust me, won't make it again. He's doing OK this morning, a bit slow still and it looks like he's starting to shed. Won't open his bad eye again but I'll give him a few hours to wake up.

I got in touch with the vet and he said not to dilute as it's already diluted enough for him.

While it was an unfortunate incident; accidents happen; life's a learning lesson and it never ends.

Too often some folks who have experience with things think they are excluded from making mistakes.

What I took from your post was you took the appropriate actions after you saw what happened; you got him to a vet and are taking care of him. Some people don't / won't do that.

I'd say just keep him comfortable; and give him a comfortable bath while watching him; and let him relax and heal up.

Keep us updated! Looking forward to hearing he's back to his old self

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club

Mistakes happen and people forget that they have made them themselves. Many of us have other pets besides beardies and this could happen to any of us even though we may think our pets are well behaved. You did right by your beardie and that's all that matters.

How are things today?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep could have happened to any of us! I'm glad he put up a good fight against the cat :) They are tough critters! I'm glad that you got him to a vet and that he's on the mend now.. Yea I don't think the cat will bother him anymore :) Keep us posted on him.

GeoffreyDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all, said I'd keep you posted. He's doing really well, almost back to his mischievous self. Is now climbing his 'vine' to sleep like he used to. The bad eye is still shut a lot but I've been sending regular updates and photos to the vet who is confident he'll start opening it more by the middle of the week. See said the blood in the eye is being reabsorbed which is a good sign.
Great appetite, pooped every day since, today's was a little runny but otherwise ok. Only concern is making sure he stays hydrated, but offering him water twice a day with the dropper.
Will keep you informed :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Soo glad that he is still doing well and getting back to himself.. Hope everything heals up and he has no issue with the eye..

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Wow! So glad he's okay! Good job!
Sounds like you did excellent! I probably would have panicked!

JUNGLE JIM

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Sounds like a happy ending. Like that he stood up for himself, probably saved his life by putting a lick on the cat. Reminds me of a Crocodile Hunter episode in which he laid down in front of a beardie who was all puffed up and threatening. After bluffing didn't do any good the beardie jumped up and bit him on the nose, actually drawing blood. I thought it was hilarious. He shouldn't have mucked with that little beardie.

Latest posts