• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Care sheet clarification pls

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi there,

I have a few questions regarding the care sheet.

Proteins
The below protein chart is for daily consumption based on age and protein type. The quantities are averages based on data collected. Each dragon is different and some may eat more or less than the number listed.

Baby Adult (1-2 years) Adult (2+ years)
Crickets 75 7 3
Dubia Roaches 25 2.5 1
Silk Worms 37 3 2

Are these amounts listed above per day or per week?

Then . . .
Adult (12 months +)
Adult bearded dragon's food ratio should be 80% greens 20% protein. Proteins can be fed all in one day or broken up between a couple of days, whichever is better for the owner and dragon.

Does this mean you can give for example the 7 cricks for adults on a Monday . . . .and then again the next Monday OR 1 cricket every day for a week? (Just used the crickets as a reference, but the same goes for the roaches and silkies too)

The crickets should be no bigger than the space between the bearded dragon's eyes.

No mention is made regarding super worms or roaches . . . Do they also have to be smaller or equal to the space between the beardies eyes? Can you cut supers in half if they are too big, and at what age can you start offering them, as I have heard their shells are not as hard an undigestable as mealies shells....

Sorry if these are DUMB questions, its just some info I need and some clarification if you don't mind

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think I can help out here.

The answer to the first question is daily.

Second question is dealing with a 1-2 year old dragon.
Yes you can feed all 49 on Monday, and no other proteins for the rest of the week, however your dragon's appetite/interest level in those insects will dictate when the protein is fed. I tend to offer mine, their roaches every other day.

Same rule of thumb goes for roaches , though with softer insects, such as worms, you CAN fudge a bit..
As for age, I wouldn't feed to a hatchling, those supers, but certainly a juvie and older, you can, just watch the poops, and behaviors of the dragon in question. If there are no issues, then there you are.

Does that help ?
Also, I am sure others will chime in their suggestions...

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanx, yes it helps a lot, I also asked a q in another thread
http://mybeardie.com/bearded-dragon-forum/bearded-dragon-diet/where-to-measure-eye-space/

OK. Another question...... Veggies,leaves and soft bodied worms can be larger than the space btwn the eyes. Whats the rule on Superworms? Pogie is 7mnths 3weeks old. Spce btwn eyes 2cm. Just got 5Supers from my cousin. Pogies never had any before. The supers are 4cm long. Can i give it to her?

So then since Pogie is almost 8 months, shes not a juvenile right? And I can give the supers? Got all the sizes and distances on above mentioned thread

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She is still a juvie, but an older one, almost to adult sexual maturity. Yes you can, feed supers, if you choose. Just watch her, her poops, and if all passes with no change in behavior, then you should be good with those.
Hope that helps.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah, think I'll try one cut in half first and see what happens.

Thanx Janie

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well I did it, gave her one.

Chomped the head off first with the tweezers and she went for it in about 10 seconds after I put it on her platform.

She did however seem to have trouble crushing the shell, but gave it 4-5 good bites before swallowing.

Will watch her for the next 24 hours, and if nothing bad happens, maybe try one again.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The crushing the head deal is a myth there is no need to do that. They will not chew their way out of your beardie,

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The crushing the head deal is a myth there is no need to do that. They will not chew their way out of your beardie,

Yeah I know its a myth, but tried to get the super smaller for her as shes never had any before... Geez theyre tough little buggers. She must have liked it, 'cos she was licking her chops for about 20 sec's afterwards while looking at me as to say "OK, So how about some more?"

But think one is enough for a tester.... Maybe tomorrow another . . . . Is it OK to cut them in half as like i said before
She did however seem to have trouble crushing the shell, but gave it 4-5 good bites before swallowing.

Latest posts