• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can't do dubias or crickets, so what's best?

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
I've been researching beardies for years, and the feeder conversation goes round and round. I know that dubias are probably the best all-around staple feeder. However, I have kids with severe asthma and allergies (I'm talking multiple several-day hospital stays for asthma and many ER visits after using epipens). So I don't think bringing roaches (which many people are allergic to and are an asthma trigger) into the house is an option for me. Crickets, likewise, are very dirty, so I don't know how my kids would do with lots of them around. We live in MO and will soon be headed into the winter, so I'm assuming an outside colony wouldn't work, either. I had decided BSFL were probably my best option, but then I read the opinions of people who think they aren't the best, and it makes me second-guess myself. So if you couldn't do roaches and crickets, what would be your go-to staple? I'm estimating my baby is around 2 months old, based on size alone. Thank you!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Crickets are only dirty and stinky if you don't keep them clean. I never had a problem with crickets smelling. I kept them in 10g tank with a metal mesh lid with lots of eggcrates and paper rolls for hiding and I would clean the poop and skin out every day. They were treated like pets themself!

You could try a different kind of roach, discoids, red runners(they are real fast), or orange heads. Silkworms are very good. BSFL is good too but can be expensive because they are so small and babies eat a lot.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you so much! I’m glad to know the BSFL are ok. I’ll continue to weigh my other options.

HaggridTheBearded

Hatchling Dragon
Another option with crickets is just buying small batches from a local supplier or shipped to you frequently. That can be more expensive though but then you are not maintaining a colony of them or anything. Some feed freeze dried crickets. Big issue then is moisture intake from what I understand.

Latest posts