• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can we talk poop~

missjody

Bearded Dragon Egg
My beardie poops in his salad bowl or insect bowl every day... and only once they're freshly filled! i've tried switching them out, moving them around.. are beardie toilets a thing? lol

I have to take them out, clean add more food again... but food is getting wasteful at this point.
Anyone figure out a way around this or something to implement to change the poop spot?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
My beardie poops in his salad bowl or insect bowl every day... and only once they're freshly filled! i've tried switching them out, moving them around.. are beardie toilets a thing? lol

I have to take them out, clean add more food again... but food is getting wasteful at this point.
Anyone figure out a way around this or something to implement to change the poop spot?
Hello jody, can we see the enclosure? Along with lighting (so we can rule that out) what does the lizard eat? . An adult beardie needs at least 85gallon -120 gallon enclosure, to move, run, climb, and find a spot to poo, maybe he’s realized you clean that spot everyday and has picked a bowl as his toilet? , beardies are actually smart, and they dont like to be in a poopy enclosure.

missjody

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello jody, can we see the enclosure? Along with lighting (so we can rule that out) what does the lizard eat? . An adult beardie needs at least 85gallon -120 gallon enclosure, to move, run, climb, and find a spot to poo, maybe he’s realized you clean that spot everyday and has picked a bowl as his toilet? , beardies are actually smart, and they dont like to be in a poopy enclosure.
Thanks for responding :) I think the issue is for sure enclosure now that you pointed that out. He's about 4-5 months and in a smaller temporary enclosure while I had one built out... he's definitely outgrown it over the last couple weeks which is when the pooping in bowls actually started!! He had more room when he was smaller!!! New enclosure arrived today - 4 x 2 x 2 / 120 galon... i'm going to set it up and if he is still doing it, i'll post set up and all that. Thanks again, really appreciate the help

missjody

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all!! So back to poop...
Beardie is now in his big boy enclosure... lots of space. I think lighting and settings are all good.. and he still poops on his food!!!

Any thoughts on how to get him not to?

Pic of new enclosure and that bowl you see - is the new toilet... or all over his salad bowl (the bowl against the side)

1631731652331.png

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Maybe it’s habit, have you tried just putting the veggies in a different bowl or straight on the floor somewhere else so it’s accessible to him and place kitchen paper over his current bowls if he starts pooping on the paper leave him to do that for a week then slowly move the paper away from that area to where you want him to go. If he goes on the salad that’s elsewhere then it’s either a very strange habit or he’s trying to tell you something.
I’m no expert at all and will leave enclosure set up to someone else, looks really nice tho :) just thought I’d see if I could help in anyway.

missjody

Bearded Dragon Egg
Maybe it’s habit, have you tried just putting the veggies in a different bowl or straight on the floor somewhere else so it’s accessible to him and place kitchen paper over his current bowls if he starts pooping on the paper leave him to do that for a week then slowly move the paper away from that area to where you want him to go. If he goes on the salad that’s elsewhere then it’s either a very strange habit or he’s trying to tell you something.
I’m no expert at all and will leave enclosure set up to someone else, looks really nice tho :) just thought I’d see if I could help in anyway.
Yes, I have done that. Got new bowls too, switched locations.. taken bowls out when not feeding time - and he still poops in it - like he is saving it up to go lol.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Yes, I have done that. Got new bowls too, switched locations.. taken bowls out when not feeding time - and he still poops in it - like he is saving it up to go lol.
I’m laughing so hard, sorry I can hear the exasperation in your post, I don’t know what to suggest but hope you find a solution. It’s very funny tho, glad it’s not mine x

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
they’re everywhere, get one that’s strong, some cant hold a larger beardy like mine.

Attachments

• C2A9C3DC-C483-425E-9927-9B7B2EC8BEFF.jpeg
    C2A9C3DC-C483-425E-9927-9B7B2EC8BEFF.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 6

Latest posts