• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can UVB bulb get old even when not used

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
So I got a long reptisun uvb tube for a 40 gallon today at a store that was selling all their reptile equipment for half of since they wanted to stop selling reptile related products. But all the stuff seems kind of old. but maybe it's just because it was dusty I'm not sure.

But my question is, if this uvb bulb is old but never used, would it still work effectively?
It sounds like a stupid question but I just want to be sure.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
So I got a long reptisun uvb tube for a 40 gallon today at a store that was selling all their reptile equipment for half of since they wanted to stop selling reptile related products. But all the stuff seems kind of old. but maybe it's just because it was dusty I'm not sure.

But my question is, if this uvb bulb is old but never used, would it still work effectively?
It sounds like a stupid question but I just want to be sure.
im curious too. getting another beardie? im glad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
im curious too. getting another beardie? im glad!

Haha yeah I am. I thought about it for a while because I was so heartbroken from the loss. But I learned a lot more from my last one and I'm ready to try again. I found an awesome juvenile. He's a little older and bigger and that's what I wanted because I know babies are hard to care for and I feel like I need more experience for babies so I'm getting a juvenile just to be on the safe side.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Haha yeah I am. I thought about it for a while because I was so heartbroken from the loss. But I learned a lot more from my last one and I'm ready to try again. I found an awesome juvenile. He's a little older and bigger and that's what I wanted because I know babies are hard to care for and I feel like I need more experience for babies so I'm getting a juvenile just to be on the safe side.
i recommend going through a breeder or a reptile show for sure

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Bulbs are fine, they wont lose any efficiency unless they have been used. I have a friend who collects light bulbs (lol,yeah i know), interestingly, he has some antique ones that are pushing on for 80-90 years old and amazingly they still work like new. So, there is no shelf life on unused bulbs so long as the filaments are intact and they are uncorroded.

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
Bulbs are fine, they wont lose any efficiency unless they have been used. I have a friend who collects light bulbs (lol,yeah i know), interestingly, he has some antique ones that are pushing on for 80-90 years old and amazingly they still work like new. So, there is no shelf life on unused bulbs so long as the filaments are intact and they are uncorroded.
Haha that's actually pretty cool!