• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can two female beardies together

sjmudjet

Bearded Dragon Egg
we currently have two beardies and are planning for the future, can they live in the same tank or Would size be an issue in a 55gallon for two adults? We were also worried about aggression with maternal instinct as well if one were to have eggs

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, i'm afraid it's not advisable to house any 2 beardies together, even females. It goes against their nature as they are solitary animals. In the wild they will come together only to mate. The aggression could appear at any time as one (usually the larger)will dominate the other. They may seem to be the best of pals that get along with each other, right up until the point that they dont...then you could have real problems.
The minimum recommended tank size for 1 adult beardie is 40 gallon

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No you don't want to house even females together, as stated above they are solitary critters. And even if they get together now that can change in an instant.. They really don't have maternal drives once eggs are laid however if 1 were to become gravid having another nearby may keep them from laying..
The size requirement would be a 40g breeder for 1 Adult dragon.. The key is you need to go by the length of the dragon they need an additional 12" deep so they can turn around without being cramped while doing so. Basically they need floor space..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I wouldn't risk putting them together. I have 2 females and one does not like the other. When I have them out of the tank, I keep them out of each others site.

Just a side note, a 55g tank isn't even big enough for one adult let alone two. With beardies the bigger gallon size isn't always the best. You want to go by dimension. An adult needs a tank that is minimum 36x18x18. You want something that is 2 times as long as an average adult dragon and as deep and high as an average adult can get. The need to be able to sit in the tank without being "folded" and they need to be able to turn around comfortably.

Latest posts