• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can too much fat/protein give a Dragon softer stool?

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
While Athena was laying infertile eggs, we supplemented her diet with extra protein and calcium, so she was getting dubias and waxworms and sometimes supers every day. She is very good about eating her greens and is used to a normal adult beardie diet of mostly veg. We continued to give her extra protein and calcium a few days after she finished because she acted drained, and slept almost a whole day (though she did eat that day, but had laid 10+ eggs the day before). Then, she had a bit of soft stool for a day, and pooped twice (she normally only poops once or once every 2 days). It wasn't water, but it wasn't well formed, either. The next day she had a semi-normal poop, more solid than the day before. She now seems fine, eating, feisty as ever.

I made an appointment with the vet the day she had the two soft stools (they had nothing available until tomorrow, which is when her appointment is), but now I'm wondering if I even need to bring her in. Since she would be a new patient, I can't just bring in a sample and have them run a fecal because she's never been seen before, so it will cost me an extra $70 on top of the $30 for the fecal. I'm just wondering if she really needs to be seen or not... I did order some Reptaid from Chameleons NW, so I thought about just watching her the next few days and seeing if there are any more soft stools. She is not acting any differently than normal now, and I'm wondering if all the extra fat (from the waxworms) and extra protein that her system isn't used to may have thrown things off for a day or two. She has not had roaches since Friday because I wanted to give her system a break. She's eating her greens, though, as always. In fact, since we gave her extra greens while she was laying, she now expects 2 salads a day! :D

So, what do you guys think? Should I take her in, or wait and see?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I tend to be on the side of caution in these situations and would take her in, especially if she's never been seen by a herp vet before. She's been through a tough time laying these eggs.

I am glad she seems to be back to herself and is eating great.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
She's been to a vet before but not this vet. My regular vet is out of the country until mid Feb. so they recommended this other clinic.

moth_ay

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
How did it go?

Also, your banner has tripled since the last time I was here :O

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
moth_ay said:
How did it go?

Also, your banner has tripled since the last time I was here :O

How did what go? I posted this a few hours ago... lol. ;)

I've changed my banner a few times. Separated the dogs so they each have their own picture, added the snake and the leopard gecko and then I was asked to take in a friend's green iguana. We have a full house! ;D

moth_ay

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Oops I didn't read time stamps... If you had gone, vet visit :">

Man, you have some serious good karma!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lexi said:
She's been to a vet before but not this vet. My regular vet is out of the country until mid Feb. so they recommended this other clinic.

Man, that blows. Pardon my french ;)
Mid-Feb is around the corner, if she's eating fine and acting back to normal, I may hold off until your vet returns. Personally, I wouldn't consider this an emergency.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've seen a few females throw soft loose stools after egg laying, as well as other times of year. Keep in mind that this is also a hormonal act taking place. With almost all hormonal acts, a slight change in metabolism is expected, and usually reconciles it's self within a few days. Sometimes it doesn't, but is typically a upside down effect on the digestive system.
Try adding some probiotics (benebac is my preference) to her diet once a day.

I'm with Renee here, I don't consider it an emergency, and think she could wait on her regular vet.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
I've seen a few females throw soft loose stools after egg laying, as well as other times of year. Keep in mind that this is also a hormonal act taking place. With almost all hormonal acts, a slight change in metabolism is expected, and usually reconciles it's self within a few days. Sometimes it doesn't, but is typically a upside down effect on the digestive system.
Try adding some probiotics (benebac is my preference) to her diet once a day.

I'm with Renee here, I don't consider it an emergency, and think she could wait on her regular vet.

Thanks very much! I'll pick up some Benebac today.

Latest posts