• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can they see the red lights?

HlynnReid92

Hatchling Dragon
So Greg was told by a pet store last that beardies can't see the red bulbs in the heating lamps so they are good to use at night... A friend of mine who also has raised beardies disagrees. He says they can see it and it would disturb his sleep at night... Thoughts?

What kind of heating element should we switch to if that's the case?

Also our under the tank heating pad just went out. We need to find a new one soon.

DanielE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ive read (note read I have no experience) that the ceramic heat bulbs are good.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
They can c the red light and it will disturb there sleep. If ur temps drop low of a nite u can get a heat emmiter its.just a blub that lets out.heat n no light :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Also remember that it's okay for the temp to drop a bit at night, that's what happens in nature. As long as it doesn't go below 68 degrees, your dragon should be okay without a heat element at night. We keep our house pretty comfortable, so at night their tanks take on the house temp which is around 74/75 degrees. The only time I ever had to use additional heating was when I first got Luci and he was starting to show signs of a URI.

HlynnReid92

Hatchling Dragon
Also remember that it's okay for the temp to drop a bit at night, that's what happens in nature. As long as it doesn't go below 68 degrees, your dragon should be okay without a heat element at night. We keep our house pretty comfortable, so at night their tanks take on the house temp which is around 74/75 degrees. The only time I ever had to use additional heating was when I first got Luci and he was starting to show signs of a URI.
Good to know. What are signs of URI? I'm so new to this! I feel like I have to learn everything all at once because Greg was so misinformed

DanielE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeh theu really r :)
Not all are. But many are misinformed :(
The ones I was talking to today where good though and have had bearded dragons themselves for years. They where helping me get all the stuff I needed for mine today.
I got one of the ceramic bulbs today. If you want I can let you know how it does.

HlynnReid92

Hatchling Dragon
Not all are. But many are misinformed :(
The ones I was talking to today where good though and have had bearded dragons themselves for years. They where helping me get all the stuff I needed for mine today.
I got one of the ceramic bulbs today. If you want I can let you know how it does.
Yea buy even when I had finches I noticed the people were very misinformed. I picked up a black bulb today. And a new basking light for Kevin

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Some signs are excess mucus in the mouth and nose, clicking or rattling sounds when they breathe. When I first brought Luci home from the pet store, I noticed he had a lot of mucus in his mouth when he opened it, so I upped his temps for a few days and gave him some Repti-aid and he was fine. If it would have gotten worse he would have had to go to the vet for meds.

HlynnReid92

Hatchling Dragon
Some signs are excess mucus in the mouth and nose, clicking or rattling sounds when they breathe. When I first brought Luci home from the pet store, I noticed he had a lot of mucus in his mouth when he opened it, so I upped his temps for a few days and gave him some Repti-aid and he was fine. If it would have gotten worse he would have had to go to the vet for meds.
Okay. Kevin is fine but it's good to know what to look for

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It would be night since it does not give uva.
For cheep id recommend these.
Zilla 09930 Night Black Heat Incandescent Spot Bulb, 100-Watt by Zilla http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LOIJMM/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_kiIUtb1BXWY45

I would not recommend those lights for anything. Lizards can see better than we can, so this light, like all lights, are visible to them. There are no light bulbs that we can see that they cant. If you want night time heat, then a ceramic heat emitter will give off infrared heat without any light at all, but as mentioned this is only needed if your room temperature drops quite low at night. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Repti...04866931&sr=8-2&keywords=ceramic+heat+emitter

For the basking light, just get a normal halogen flood light from the hardware store or Amazon, like a PAR 38 outdoor halogen flood. They run about $5 and produce exactly the same light as the fancy reptile ones you get at the pet shop, just at 1/2 to a 1/3 of the price.

Honchess

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeh theu really r :)

Pet stores generally hire people who walk in the door with an application... The primary question is 'Do you like animals?" There is seldom and reference to background knowledge. DON'T rely on pet stores for your information about pets, especially reptiles. MOST times they don't know squat.

And even a vet....check your vet's credentials very closely. Most are trained generally in warm blooded animals like pet dogs, cats, etc and/ or large animals, horses cows etc. When my son kept snakes (before he was married and took his snakes away :-( ) there was only ONE vet in our county that knew anything about snakes!

We found him because we asked the vet we used for our dogs about the snake. He said, 'don't bring it, call....so-n-so...' Honest man, doctor rick.

Latest posts