• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can someone explain what my beardie is doing ?

Heroicchip

Bearded Dragon Egg
ive purchased my beardie about a month ago. He is approximately 3 y/o male. He does this gulping/flex with his beard and it has me concerned. He’s done it since the day I’ve gotten him. I was wondering if it’s a health concern or an intimidation act towards me from being scared. He seems to do it mostly when I’m trying to pick him up from inside his cage or if he ends up falling asleep outside the cage and I scoop him up to put him back in he’ll do it then too. He’s not quite tame yet. I’ve been spending many hours a day trying to calm him down when I take him out. I will slowly approach his cage and gently place my hand inside so he will notice me. Go to pick him up from underneath “he’ll try to back off” and then gently take him out. Anyways here’s a link to the video
he is the only beardie I own atm. His temps and uvb are in working order. Eats good and uses the restroom accordingly. It’s just been stressing me out since day 1 :/. Feedback will be appreciated

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The puffing out is pretty typical of them, the first video he's doing it while head bobbing that's a dominance type thing and likely is doing it to look bigger. The second video he's doing it while in the bath and it also looks like he's starting a shed so maybe he's stretching his skin in prep for a shed.
From the video his fat pads on top of his head look a bit sunkin in is that just the video angle? I know you said he's 3 years old so maybe he's just dehydrated? how's his eating?

Heroicchip

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for the reply! I did think it was something to do with his shed, but he does it too often. Mostly when he seems stressed or nervous. I observe him from my desk often since his viv is in my room and I’ll rarely catch him doing this when he’s alone but if I or another person is near him he does it often. But you may be right.. he eats like a champ. I feed him Dubai’s and superworms as a treat. I try to give him his hydration through fruits like blue berries and bananas and his daily salad but he doesn’t it touch that much. I don’t want to keep stressing him out if that is the cause. I got him a little over a month ago and I take him out once or twice a day to try to get him to trust me more and grow a bond. It’s seems to be falling short since he never really likes to sit with me and always seems to have his eye on me.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for the reply! I did think it was something to do with his shed, but he does it too often. Mostly when he seems stressed or nervous. I observe him from my desk often since his viv is in my room and I’ll rarely catch him doing this when he’s alone but if I or another person is near him he does it often. But you may be right.. he eats like a champ. I feed him Dubai’s and superworms as a treat. I try to give him his hydration through fruits like blue berries and bananas and his daily salad but he doesn’t it touch that much. I don’t want to keep stressing him out if that is the cause. I got him a little over a month ago and I take him out once or twice a day to try to get him to trust me more and grow a bond. It’s seems to be falling short since he never really likes to sit with me and always seems to have his eye on me.
It takes some time for them to get used to their new humans and environment.. So I wouldn't stress over that he is likely doing it to make himself look big..The best time to do some handling would be just before lights out as that is when they put their guard down and are kinda sleepy, just put him on your chest and drape a wash cloth over him and let him nap on you..they are very curious critters and very social so he's watching you to see what's going on in his new digs.. My female and male juvie are in our living room and they watch tv especially my female! My adult male is in the kitchen and he's next to a window and he spends his day watching the birds..

Heroicchip

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the reassurance ! I still think I’m going to take him to the vet when I have the money too just to get a checkup. I’ve tried taking him Out before bed and putting him on my chest underneath a blanket but sometimes he’ll try to run off to a corner of my room and sleep there.. kinda upsetting since I love the lil guy but I’m sure he’ll come around with some time. I don’t think the previous owners held him too much and he can’t handle all the affection I’m giving him lol. I bought him a hammock but he doesn’t seem interested in it. I’ve only seen him go on it once by himself and it made me so damn happy haha.. I guess the ground is more comfortable ? Anyways thanks again

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the reassurance ! I still think I’m going to take him to the vet when I have the money too just to get a checkup. I’ve tried taking him Out before bed and putting him on my chest underneath a blanket but sometimes he’ll try to run off to a corner of my room and sleep there.. kinda upsetting since I love the lil guy but I’m sure he’ll come around with some time. I don’t think the previous owners held him too much and he can’t handle all the affection I’m giving him lol. I bought him a hammock but he doesn’t seem interested in it. I’ve only seen him go on it once by himself and it made me so damn happy haha.. I guess the ground is more comfortable ? Anyways thanks again
Just give him time.. you got to earn his trust but I will tell you once you got it your in!!
It's always best to have them seen by a vet and remember to take a fresh fecal so they can check for parasites.. Which also could be making him grumpy..

Latest posts