• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can my dragon's nails be clipped at all?

pure_addiction_05

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
This might sound stupid or weird, but can I get Ozzy's nails clipped? They are so dang sharp and my kids love him and love to hold him, but his nails freakin hurt! Of course I wouldn't do it, but is it possible to have them clipped?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you can do it yourself easily.

small cat nail clippers or a very steady hand and sharp human nail clippers will do it.
just clip the tips. you can see the quick/vein in his nail, so just make sure not to hit that.
and if you do have a septic pin handy so that you can stop the bleeding

pure_addiction_05

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Awsome!!! They are sharp sharp sharp and he scratches the ehck out of us and they hurt!!! LOL

What exactly is a septic pin? I don't think I have ever heard of that!!!

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i may have missspelled it but when you go in a pet store you can ask them for it. they are mainly used for dogs. it acts like a quick clot and stops the bleeding in the nail.

pure_addiction_05

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok I think I know what your talking about!!!!! We actually have something like that for us humans here at our house. My hubby bought it....it's some type of white like stick thingy that you put on little cuts to stop the bleeding, it's quite cool actually.

My kids will be extremely excited to know that I can clip his nails cause they hurt them LOL....I'm not sure how Ozzy will like it...ha ha ha

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
long as you hold them securely (make sure you have his entire body stablized so he feels safe) it should be fine.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can also use cornstarch if you clip the vein. We found it helpful to have Bernie out of his viv before nighty night time. He falls asleep and we clip, clip, clip. ;D

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A regular emory board does very well without the risk of clipping the vein. Just use it directly after a bath when he's wrapped in a burrito.

missb

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Aaaaaaa just asked this same question!! Thanks for all the suggestions!

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The tile in Puff's viv helps keep his nails down :) And he seems happier for it too.

Latest posts