• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can I hold him now?!?

mjfreaks

Hatchling Dragon
How long do you have to wait to bring a juvenile beardie home to hold him and get him used to my touch?

Ima be anxious and nervous at the same time...any thoughts or suggestions?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So do you have a dragon now or are you just getting info for when you get one??
If you are just bringing a dragon home we would recommend letting them get settled for a week. During that week you want to speak softly and move slowly when putting food in..
Always remembering to never come from directly over their head or behind them as they have an organ ontop of their heads called the "3rd eye" or their parietal eye this senses shadows from above (birds and other predators) and will put the on the defensive.
Start with getting them used to your hand in the tank, then petting them then hold them in the tank (scoop them up from under chin to chest and then other hand under back feet/tail)
It may also be easier to handle them close to lights out for the night as they are winding down and are calmer.

mjfreaks

Hatchling Dragon
I am planning to get him in June or July for my birthday.
That's great information to know. I heard people says 4 days so that he gets settled, etc etc.
Thanks much.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am planning to get him in June or July for my birthday.
That's great information to know. I heard people says 4 days so that he gets settled, etc etc.
Thanks much.
Ok good, take some time and go thru the links that are below several of our comments as we have put together a ton of info for new comers. That way you can get everything you need and know before you bring your dragon home.

David Crouchman

Bearded Dragon Egg
How long do you have to wait to bring a juvenile beardie home to hold him and get him used to my touch?

Ima be anxious and nervous at the same time...any thoughts or suggestions?
I held mine as much as possible when young to get him used to me. I went through a stage of hissing at me biting me but carry on show him your not scared. And now he is my best friend he shows me no aggression at all. I can pick him up no problem.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk