• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

can I get sick from my beardy?

Fisher28

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have had the little one for about 2 months now and about a week ago I somehow managed to wake up at 3am and my eyes were beat red. I went to the eye docotor and I was told that I have viral infections in my eyes and some other mumbo jumbo terms I dont really understand. I have been trying to think of how I got this, and how suddenly, and the only thing I can think of is the fact my beardy falls asleep on my chest everynight around 9 for a while until I have to go to sleep and I put her in her tank. I have done this for a while and no problems by my mother seems to think that she is making me sick. Is this possible? I always wash my hands after I hold her but could I get sick from her?

kobe24

Hatchling Dragon
Hey buddy, yes there is a possibility of getting a disease from almost any animal. This is why it's a good idea to wash your hands and to avoid touching your eyes or mouth after handling most animals. So make sure you always wash your hands because this might have happened. A disease that can be possily transmitted from a bearded dragon to a human is salminala. Good luck with your eye, I hope you didnt get it from your dragon and peace.

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I sincerely doubt you got this from your dragon. My dragon is cuddled to sleep in the same manner by myself or my boyfriend almost every night. He also enjoys sitting directly across my boyfriends face covering his eyes (he really likes his face for some reason) and no infection or irritation has ever occurred. A few years before I got my beardie I developed a viral eye infection which the doctor had no idea how I contracted it and said it could have been from traveling, dust in my eyes, pretty much anything. If your dragon is healthy he's not likely the culprit. I'd be more worried about passing the infection to your dragon then him giving it to you. If you have other pets (dog, cat, rabbit) they would be much more likely to pass an infection to you through licking, laying on your clothes, etc and mammals lick their butts! Lizards can't do that!

Pat B

Super Moderator
I have always practiced washing my hands after handling my beardie, feeding, cleaning up poop....etc etc etc.

kobe24

Hatchling Dragon
I have always practiced washing my hands after handling my beardie, feeding, cleaning up poop....etc etc etc.
Do you have to wash your hands if you only hold your beardie. The beardie isnt dirty or anything is it. I give mine a bath every 3 days.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Your beardie isn't 'dirty'. This is what I do....I am sort of a 'hand washer'. :) I just happen to think it is a good practice.

kobe24

Hatchling Dragon
Hey buddy, you didnt get back to me in our chat, i had some questions for ya.
Well im glad shes not dirty lol, I thought maybe her paws might be dirty from walking around the cage even though i wash the cage once a week.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey buddy, you didnt get back to me in our chat, i had some questions for ya.
Well im glad shes not dirty lol, I thought maybe her paws might be dirty from walking around the cage even though i wash the cage once a week.
Do you have to wash your hands if you only hold your beardie. The beardie isnt dirty or anything is it. I give mine a bath every 3 days.
You answered your own question ...
Hey buddy, yes there is a possibility of getting a disease from almost any animal. This is why it's a good idea to wash your hands and to avoid touching your eyes or mouth after handling most animals. So make sure you always wash your hands because this might have happened. A disease that can be possily transmitted from a bearded dragon to a human is salminala. Good luck with your eye, I hope you didnt get it from your dragon and peace.
Washing\sanitizing of hands after handling your BD should be standard practice, as a preventative measure, if nothing else.

Latest posts