• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can bearded dragons develop musical taste? >_>

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I put Wrex on my bed when I was listening to some power metal, then turned away for a second. I turned back a moment later to found that he had crossed the bed to get at my laptop, and found him doing this:
http://www.facebook.com/v/322374210558

I'm not sure what the waving means exactly (submission? greeting?), but he only does it when the music is on. He doesn't try running away from it though - in fact, he runs straight up to the laptop from wherever he was sitting before and waves at it. :p He doesn't do this with classical or jazz (the two other types of music I listen to), just metal. I tested this a few times - waving when I played Blind Guardian, Judas Priest, and Helloween, no waving with John Coltrane, no waving with Beethoven, no waving with silence.

If it turns out that he actually likes this music, he'll be the third oddity of a pet that I own. The turtle bobs her head when I play metal, the guinea pig purrs loudly at anything with bass, and now this little goof waves. Is it possible that all of my pets have great musical taste, or have I finally snapped?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Arm waving is a sign of submission. I've heard of others saying their beardies like one genre over another, but I haven't seen any studies regarding it.

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Haha, thanks for the info. Does the wave of submission mean that he's intimidated by the music, and that I should stop playing it around him? :p I personally think it's adorable when he runs up and waves at the music, but I don't want him to be stressed by it.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
valkryja said:
Haha, thanks for the info. Does the wave of submission mean that he's intimidated by the music, and that I should stop playing it around him? :p I personally think it's adorable when he runs up and waves at the music, but I don't want him to be stressed by it.

What is your desktop background on your laptop? I know there are a few that bother my beardies... the males head bob at anything resembling a beardie or another lizard :D

I suppose that wouldn't explain why they only do it when you play a certain genre of music, though... unless you're using iTunes and the album cover(s) somehow is upsetting them. That's my best guess... :p

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I had the same thoughts as Lexi. What is on your screen when this happens?

I think you can play your music, but I wouldn't put your beardie there while it's playing.

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hmm... well, I think I was on twitter when this was playing, and the closest thing I have to a lizard resemblance on my twitter background is this guy:
doodle.png

... and I wouldn't imagine this would bother him. :p

I was thinking that he might have spotted a reflection in the screen, but that doesn't really make sense, judging by his previous reactions to his reflection. His basking spot is sort of near the reflective glass of the tank, and whenever he notices the "other bearded dragon" he lunges for the glass with his mouth open. I'm going to move the basking spot over a little tomorrow, after I clean his tank, to prevent him from hurting himself. :p

Is this a sign of a dominant dragon, by the way? He only waves when I walk in the room or when I play metal. He tries to intimidate or bite anything else bigger than him. Heck, he even tried to take down my dog the other day. >_> He jumped at her and bit her foot because she nibbled on the carrot he was sitting on.

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I don't now if it is bad for them or not but I have to say that is one cute video. Mine used to wave at me but haven't for months. I guess they know who in charge and it ain't me!

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
On a somewhat related note, I don't think that it was submission to something looking like a lizard on-screen. He was sitting on the keyboard while checking this thread, saw Renee's signature, puffed himself up and tried to bite it. :p

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Aw, then it was Bernie who was being the dominant beardie. :D
That explains it!

Sue, I think your explanation reinforces that beardies think we are predators when they first come to live with us. Now that he knows that you are his food source, you are not a threat. :D

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yeah Boogie and Tessie both know they have me wrapped around their little fingers!! Wouldn't have it any other way... ;D

Latest posts