• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can a male miss his girlfriend?

Kami

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, I have 2 sweet female beardies, Xey and Squirt, and I have kept them in separate enclosures since I get them at different times. Well, turns out I recently discovered I actually have 1 male and 1 female! (hindsight is 20/20!) So i put them together to socialize since they see each other from across the room all the time and they pretty much immediately mated. I left them together for a couple days. Today i separated them back into their own tanks because my Squirt seemed sooo exhausted and wouldnt stop trying to escape. She seems happy to have some rest from all the courtship but he is staying to the side of his tank that is next to hers and just stares over there. He even fell asleep tonight standing up leaning on the glass! im afraid I made a mistake separating them? Help!
for reference his tank is on the left, hers the right and she's sleeping under her favorite rock.
20180906_200236.jpg

20180906_195929.jpg
20180906_195940.jpg

Yvonne G

Administrator
3 Year Member
Don't put human emotions on an animal. He doesn't miss "his girlfriend," he misses the opportunity to breed whenever the spirit moves him. I would fix it so he can't see her and let him settle down .

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I agree with Yvonne, he is in mating mode, given the chance he would keep mating with her repeatedly. Its not unheard of for males to kill females by repeated mating, its not the most gentle act. He will probably keep on acting that way as long as he can see her, I would cover the sides of the tank and his hormones should recede.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
He doesn't miss her he just wants to mate with her.

I need to point out that the coil bulb is providing no UVB whatsoever to your dragons. Coil bulbs for one thing are harsh on their eyes but they only give off enough UVB for a couple of inches. Put a mesh screen in between the light and the dragon and you are block out all of the UVB the light is giving off. Get either a tube style UVB bulb or an MVB bulb. If you do a tube bulb and you place it over the mesh, you want to get a T5 bulb.

I would bump up your girls calcium, considering she wasn't getting any UVB light to process calcium and now her body is going to be making eggs, she needs all the extra she can get. You can give her treats of boiled egg whites, they are high in calcium.

Kami

Bearded Dragon Egg
then why do the stores sell them? Xey has a tube bulb for a bit, I don't remember when I got the coil one. I am a novice at being a beardie mommy and I've researched so much and always end up feeling lost because there is such conflicting info coming everyone...here..other sites...the pet store...once I feel like I'm doing well and taking good care of them something like this pops up and I feel terrible and like I am just failing miserably. I love my babies and I want to take care of them properly. I researched calcium deficiency and my babes look nothing like those who are malformed from a deficiency. they both have grown wonderfully. I give them vitamins every week and spray calcium on their veggies daily. I will definitely look up those articles. thanks

Latest posts