• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Calcium powder question

Shrimpforever777

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all! I know that you are suposed to coat bugs with calcium powder and sprinkle it on salads but can anyone give me some more details?

Should I use calcium with d3 or without?
When should I use vitamin powder?
When should I use the calcium?
Are there any brands to stay away from?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

JamesH

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have a similar question. With D3 or without? Preferred brand?

CiriTheBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi sorry to be responding so long after you posted. Hopefully you found the answers you were looking for, but if not, I’ll try my best to help! If not for you, for someone else!

For question one, I’ve heard some mixed things here and there. However, vitamin d3 is important for absorbing calcium. The issue can come from if they are receiving too much d3 plus too much uvb. If you dont have an incredibly strong, concentrated uvb source, you should be fine with calcium with d3. If you have strong uvb or you’re worried, you can alternate between calcium without and calcium with so your beardie is still getting the d3. I personally use calcium with d3 as my only calcium source and haven’t had any issues. I’m going to say, 9 times out of 10, with d3 is the best way to go. But it might be worthwhile to do some research on it and decide for yourself if you think that’s what you should do.

For number 2 and 3: I use calcium twice a week and a multivitamin once a week. Typically, my adult female gets calcium on Monday’s and Fridays and a multivitamin on Wednesday’s. If you have a female as well, calcium needs to be more frequent IF she is about to lay eggs (fertile or not) and right after laying eggs. Growing and laying eggs uses up a lot of calcium

Number 4: I personally don’t know if there are any brands to stay away from. When I first got my girl, I saw many people recommended Rep-Cal, so that’s what I use. It’s fairly cheap for the amount you get and you don’t go through it very fast. I use the Rep-Cal Phosphorus-free Calcium with d3 powder and the Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamin

Latest posts