• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Calci worms

Danny nicholas

Hatchling Dragon
Hi iv just got some calci worms online and they came yesterday I just wondered how big they should be I got some large ones and they seem to be smaller than wax worms is this normal?

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I dont think they get very big at all. Probably about the size of a wax worm.

monkeybumpz

Juvenile Dragon
I believe calci worms and repti worms are the same. I have reptiworms and they are very small. My dragon can eat 30 in one sitting, but they supposedly have high calcium and u don't need to dust

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I agree, I don't think they get very big. I bought them once for Dexter when she was little and she pooped them out whole.

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
Are these the same as phoenix worms? If so the larges were very small actually smaller than wax worms. I think I paid 8 bucks for a 100 and my dragons ate them all in one sitting.

lazer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yes, they can eat the flies. The original is the Phoenix worm. The link to the Phoenix Worm Store is below. If you email them, you will get the wife of the scientist who actually worked on this worm for years. They give the perfect calcium to Phosphorus ratio. The Phoenix worm is actually the original and can help keep away the dreaded coccidia parasite. Some have even written to say the worms cured their Bearded Dragons MBD. There are so many things that are so great about these worms. I always order large for my adult 'Beardie and every once in a while (like this last time) I will get lucky and get a load of frighteningly large worms. Most of the time, they seem on the smaller side. The one thing I hate doing is piercing the Phoenix worms skin, because otherwise, your B.D. will wolf them down and you will find whole, undigested Phoenix Worms in your pets stools. You pierce them because they have an exoskeleton which the B.D's digestive juices can't break through so you help out the process a little by piercing them. Anyway, here is the site:

http://www.phoenixworm.com/servlet/StoreFront

lazer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I truly enjoy helping people. I am happy when others are happy. So thank you for acknowledging my post. It means a lot to me. I guess it's the Doctor (D.P.M.) in me Ha, Ha. :)

sarahford7587

Bearded Dragon Egg
Does anyone have a good method of getting all the worm bedding off the worms. My beardies LOVE them, but I am afraid about them eating the dirt stuff they come in. Also, washing them off with water isn't working because once they get wet they can climb and go everywhere

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Does anyone have a good method of getting all the worm bedding off the worms. My beardies LOVE them, but I am afraid about them eating the dirt stuff they come in. Also, washing them off with water isn't working because once they get wet they can climb and go everywhere

I have the same problem but Mushu wants not part of the phoenix worms which surprised me because he will eat anything that moves.If you put them in a glass dish with just a very little bit off water (few drops) they will walk squirm around and it will come off.

lazer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I am sorry I didn't see this before. What I do is the following. I have a Styrofoam bowl and the porcelain bowl my Bearded Dragon will eat from and place them on newspaper. I also have roughly three to four sheets of paper towels as well as my pick ups. You take your pick ups (they are just like long tweezers they sell in the reptile section) and choose the Phoenix Worm's one by one from their containers. I put them into one of the bowls I have put on my right that is half full of water. This gets all of the bedding off of them and they DO NOT DROWN in the ten minutes they are in the bowl. I then take a plastic fork and take as many as I can out and place them on the three paper towels I have stacked one on top of the other. The tear away paper towels are the best because you don't need a full paper towel. Use the fork until there are just a few P.W.'s left in the bowl and then change over to the long tongs so you can take the ones remaining out individually. All the while, make sure your P.W.'s are not crawling off of the paper towel onto the floor or the table. After you are all done, I just tip the paper towel so they all slide to the left dry side where I begin patting them dry. I do this until I am satisfied that most of the moisture is gone and then pour them from my paper towel into her porcelain dish.

It's a lot to take in but I have found this to be the best way of doing it.

Latest posts