• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Calci-sand or no calci-sand

dragonlover45

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok, people keep saying that calci-sand is perfectly safe, but from experence this doesnt seem to be true.
My first beardie was on calci-sand for about a month, and completely stopped pooping. We took him in and thats we found out that any kind of sand is not allowed, thats what my herp vet said. I personally cant stand sand, so now i use reptile carpet. I just want to know why everyone says to use sand.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sand as a substrate is a very controversial topic. We used reptile carpet until Bernie was 1 year old. Then we used sand. We used it for about a year and a half. We didn't have any issues with it. But we did replace it often and sifted it twice before letting Bernie in the viv. You would be amazed at what was found in the sand.

We replaced the sand with tile. It was a great move. Bernie loved it and it was easy to clean. And no more sand storms stuck to the sides of his viv (it was glass).

How is your beardie doing since changing from sand to carpet?

DragonLover1

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
HI i live in australia and i use sand for my bearded dragon i tryed her with tiles she hated them. But i wouldn't reccomend overseas people to use sand as your sand is tottally different to our sand. My sand hard packs down like rock and has only very fine loose grains on it. I spot clean my beardies enclosure everyday, pick up the poo straight away when i see it. My bearded dragon Safira poos in the same spot everyday unless she is that busting she can't make it to the spot. I also make sure my temps are on the higher side on the hot side around 44 degrees celsius which is 111.2f. I wouldn't reccomend calcium sand as this will arract the dragon to lick at it cause of the calcium. Picture of my sand
BILD0910.jpg

babiiqirlxx

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i was using sand at first but now i have my beardie on newspaper. until i can get him some tiles. i liked the sand until i found out the bad things about it.

dragonlover45

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well Renee my Beardie, that was his name, started doing 110% better when we took him off the sand, he was more active more playful, and he ate a lot more.= pooed a lot more.

Latest posts