• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Butt wiggling??? Question about behavior...

SerpentineManor

Bearded Dragon Egg
We just adopted a 2 year old bearded dragon. She's been with us for only a few weeks. The reptile shop where we got her said she was a female and that she was purchased from them originally as a baby, but the kid she was originally purchased for had lost interest in her and the parents decided to return her to the store for them to find a new home for her.

The first time she displayed this behavior was when I gave her a dish of worms (superworms, wax worms, hornworms). The first few feedings I had just placed one in the tank at a time, and she readily ate them, but she didn't do this butt wiggle until I gave her the dish full of insects (she eats quite fast, so they were gone within minutes). Now, she's doing it a lot when feeding, and periodically throughout the day.

Here is a video of her eating some hornworms today, so you can see the behavior I'm talking about.

Several years ago (10+ years back) I had a female beardie who had laid a few clutches of infertile eggs. I am trying to recall if this was the same behavior she displayed. She's eating well, and has energy, very alert. She's pooped several times, with a good, healthy urate. Temps are good. I checked her femoral pores and didn't see an issue there. I did feel her tummy/abdomen several times and I can't feel any eggs in there, but I am certainly no expert. We have prepared a lay box for her, just in case. I had read that some beardies do this when they're happy/excited. I would love to know what you guys think. It's very cute, but I don't want to overlook anything she might need if I'm missing something, you know?

*side note: Don't worry, I know they are not tropical/rainforest animals but I liked the forest background you see in her enclosure.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We just adopted a 2 year old bearded dragon. She's been with us for only a few weeks. The reptile shop where we got her said she was a female and that she was purchased from them originally as a baby, but the kid she was originally purchased for had lost interest in her and the parents decided to return her to the store for them to find a new home for her.

The first time she displayed this behavior was when I gave her a dish of worms (superworms, wax worms, hornworms). The first few feedings I had just placed one in the tank at a time, and she readily ate them, but she didn't do this butt wiggle until I gave her the dish full of insects (she eats quite fast, so they were gone within minutes). Now, she's doing it a lot when feeding, and periodically throughout the day.

Here is a video of her eating some hornworms today, so you can see the behavior I'm talking about.

Several years ago (10+ years back) I had a female beardie who had laid a few clutches of infertile eggs. I am trying to recall if this was the same behavior she displayed. She's eating well, and has energy, very alert. She's pooped several times, with a good, healthy urate. Temps are good. I checked her femoral pores and didn't see an issue there. I did feel her tummy/abdomen several times and I can't feel any eggs in there, but I am certainly no expert. We have prepared a lay box for her, just in case. I had read that some beardies do this when they're happy/excited. I would love to know what you guys think. It's very cute, but I don't want to overlook anything she might need if I'm missing something, you know?

*side note: Don't worry, I know they are not tropical/rainforest animals but I liked the forest background you see in her enclosure.
I am not sure-- I am going to ask a few people who might know--- if she is digging frantically in the tank that would be a sign of eggs-

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Lol amazing, it could be a number of things, she She could be reaching sexual maturity because that is a trait that the females Exhibit, She also could be moving the food in her stomach to make more room from the horn worms lol.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Loved the video! It does kind of look like the same wiggle. She seems to be completely uninterested in the lay box, so maybe it is just hormones/growing up.
You’re video was very interesting :) she obviously loves hornworms (as does mine , my beardy will climb her enclosure to eat one if I tease her) do you let the hornworms grow any bigger? I let mine get as big as breakfast sausages and she takes them down easily, does your girl exhibit any other behavior besides the butt wiggle that may he cause for concern?

SerpentineManor

Bearded Dragon Egg
You’re video was very interesting :) she obviously loves hornworms (as does mine , my beardy will climb her enclosure to eat one if I tease her) do you let the hornworms grow any bigger? I let mine get as big as breakfast sausages and she takes them down easily, does your girl exhibit any other behavior besides the butt wiggle that may he cause for concern?
Oh wow! I guess I should let them get a bit bigger. I don't notice any other behaviors that are worrisome. Since she's new to the house I may just have the vet do an exam, maybe an x-ray and parasites check, just to be sure. I showed that video you linked to my husband and he agreed that it looks like that's what she's doing :D

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh wow! I guess I should let them get a bit bigger. I don't notice any other behaviors that are worrisome. Since she's new to the house I may just have the vet do an exam, maybe an x-ray and parasites check, just to be sure. I showed that video you linked to my husband and he agreed that it looks like that's what she's doing :D
I asked my friend about this behavior she is a vet tech in Texas and this is what she said

It appears that the dragon is a male. Are they positive that their dragon
is female?
Males often do that type of behavior, it is a "hormonal" action.
:D

SerpentineManor

Bearded Dragon Egg
I asked my friend about this behavior she is a vet tech in Texas and this is what she said

It appears that the dragon is a male. Are they positive that their dragon
is female?
Males often do that type of behavior, it is a "hormonal" action. View attachment 27510
That's funny, because I'm not sure. I've bathed her and handled her but I haven't properly looked myself, because the guy who told me she was female runs the reptile shop is pretty experienced in working with all sorts of animals. I had planned on confirming that, but hadn't done it yet. Guess it's time. :D She is quite big (the biggest bearded dragon I've ever seen in person) and I did wonder if perhaps "she" was actually a "he". I will have to check and see. Thank you very much for asking your friend!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
That's funny, because I'm not sure. I've bathed her and handled her but I haven't properly looked myself, because the guy who told me she was female runs the reptile shop is pretty experienced in working with all sorts of animals. I had planned on confirming that, but hadn't done it yet. Guess it's time. :D She is quite big (the biggest bearded dragon I've ever seen in person) and I did wonder if perhaps "she" was actually a "he". I will have to check and see. Thank you very much for asking your friend!
Thats good theres no other symptoms then, If u post a picture of her on the ground , and u pick up her tail and take a picture we might be able to tell, we need to see the skin After the vent (two long bulges=male, one big bulge or indent=female), so make shure thats visible to us. She looks pretty healthy and happy to me :) im betting she/he’s reaching maturity and/or she’s was just making room for more bugs.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thats good theres no other symptoms then, If u post a picture of her on the ground , and u pick up her tail and take a picture we might be able to tell, we need to see the skin After the vent (two long bulges=male, one big bulge or indent=female), so make shure thats visible to us. She looks pretty healthy and happy to me :) im betting she/he’s reaching maturity and/or she’s was just making room for more bugs.
Two bumps will be male and if its flat its female -- place on table w/ butt towards us w/ the tail in the air so we can see the vent please

SerpentineManor

Bearded Dragon Egg
Two bumps will be male and if its flat its female -- place on table w/ butt towards us w/ the tail in the air so we can see the vent please
Thank you so much for your help everyone! We just did the flashlight method and she very much appears to be female. I just washed up to post this, but I will post a picture next time she's out to get further confirmation (probably later this afternoon). We measured her, as well, and she is 20" from the tip of her nose to the tip of her tail. I have only ever had rescue beardies (often with not great care prior to coming to me) and the male I had years ago was a bit smaller than that, so to me she seems big. Thank you so much again! I just want everything to be perfect for her. :)

SerpentineManor

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just took these... and then she had a bath. I hope these are good enough to tell. I also have a video but thought I'd post the pics first.

Do you all think girl? Or boy?
:bd:
IMG_1601.JPG

IMG_1598.JPG

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I think female, but i honestly have no clue….i just went to my local reptile shop and I brought my “girl” and he told me my beardie is a boy -_- so I really dont know what’s true anymore lol, what kind of behavior have you seen in the past? Head bobbing, hand waving, beard flaring, general craziness, black bearding?

SerpentineManor

Bearded Dragon Egg
I think female, but i honestly have no clue….i just went to my local reptile shop and I brought my “girl” and he told me my beardie is a boy -_- so I really dont know what’s true anymore lol, what kind of behavior have you seen in the past? Head bobbing, hand waving, beard flaring, general craziness, black bearding?
She's only been here a few weeks, so its hard to tell yet but I have not seen a single head bob, which I recall my previous male beardie doing all the time. Her beard did go black and she puffed it out at me and opened her mouth the first time I put her in the bath (the water was about 85*F but I've since learned she doesn't really care for baths, lol) but that has been the only time. No hand waving. She did do a bit of glass surfing when I first brought her home, but I attributed that to just getting used to the new home. She's generally pretty chill. She loves her hammock and her basking log. We have other lizards but she is our only bearded dragon, and where she is positioned I don't think she can see the others.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She's only been here a few weeks, so its hard to tell yet but I have not seen a single head bob, which I recall my previous male beardie doing all the time. Her beard did go black and she puffed it out at me and opened her mouth the first time I put her in the bath (the water was about 85*F but I've since learned she doesn't really care for baths, lol) but that has been the only time. No hand waving. She did do a bit of glass surfing when I first brought her home, but I attributed that to just getting used to the new home. She's generally pretty chill. She loves her hammock and her basking log. We have other lizards but she is our only bearded dragon, and where she is positioned I don't think she can see the others.
I am leaning towards a female as well --- its hard to see any bumps above the vent and it looks flat as well

SerpentineManor

Bearded Dragon Egg
UPDATE: She's been scratching around in her enclosure, so I put her in the lay box. She scratches around and digs in there but no eggs yet (and I still feel/see nothing in her abdomen). My worst fear is her getting egg bound, so I'm trying to give her every opportunity just in case.

Latest posts