• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Burn First Aid

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi,
I am a brand new owner of a 2 1/2 year old beardie. She was given to us by a friend last Friday who could no longer care for her. I followed all of his directions. I set up the heat lamp as I was shown and assumed all was good to go. However when I went to check on my beardie she had her nose right up against the light bulb. Needless to say she burned her "lips". At first it didn't look to bad a however now two days later it is bleeding and doesn't look like it is healing. I used a Q-tip with some water and just cleaned the area and tried to apply some petroleum jelly. I am just wanting to know if there is anything need to do or will this heal up on it's own. Do beardies not feel the heat or burn? Any help would be so very much appreciated as I feel awful fand am really worried about her. She is eating and we mist her twice a day. Thanx so much for any info you might have.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
sorry to hear about this. first off lets make sure it doesnt happen again by making sure there is a screen or guard between your dragon and the bulb. it is not safe to have the bulb in the enclosure with the dragon. second, please do not apply petroleum jelly to burns. burns need to breath to heal. you could try a small film of regular neosporin to help stop bleeding, but not too much. being on the dragons lips, you dont want her lickin it off. it wont kill her or anything like that. we want the wounds to stop bleeding and scab over. a trip to the vet would also be advisable to check the severity of the burn and to check for infection if possible. they may give you some silvadene cream if they think she cant eat it.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
if you are not sure of an exotic vet in your area, let me know. i have great link to help you find one

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you so much for your help!!! The bleeding has stopped and looks scabbed this morning. I wasn't able to get the petroleum jelly to stick to her wet lips after I cleaned them so that's a good thing. My dog actually needs to go to the vet today so I might ask him what he thinks. However I am pretty sure he does not specialize in exotic animals so your link would be very helpful. This is all so new to us and we want to be sure to porovide the best care we can.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Iwelcome and sorry for the news. I'm with Richard, i'd see a vet, i'd also give it a clean with diluted betadine. Is she feeding ok??

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Richard,
I checked out the link and it told me the closest vet was in Kansas, I am in Virginia, LOL. So I guess I will just have to search it out another way. Thank you so much for your help though. I did speak to my vet yesterday and he said to leave it alone and keep an eye on it. As long as it scabs over, which it has, and isn't oozie it should heal up ok. Said beardies were tough. He didn't want to give me anything to put on it as it is her mouth and he didn't think we needed to take the chance of her ingesting anything that wasn't necessary. She has been really mellow and will not eat her crickets??? I put calcium powder on them and I think that might have turned her off. I will try again later today. I have continued misting her twice a day to make sure she isn't getting dehydrated. I am still worried about her but am keeping close tabs.

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Usually your local vet will be able to tell you if there is an exotic vet in your area, or where your nearest one is, thats how we got intouch with the vet we use for our BD's. The vet practice we used with our dog wouldnt look at the Dragons as they didnt know enough about them to advise us properly, but they put us in touch with a fantastic vet. She might not feel much like eating if her mouth is sore tho. Keep us posted on how she is getting on xx

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Usually your local vet will be able to tell you if there is an exotic vet in your area, or where your nearest one is, thats how we got intouch with the vet we use for our BD's. The vet practice we used with our dog wouldnt look at the Dragons as they didnt know enough about them to advise us properly, but they put us in touch with a fantastic vet. She might not feel much like eating if her mouth is sore tho. Keep us posted on how she is getting on xx
Thank you!!!

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Iwelcome and sorry for the news. I'm with Richard, i'd see a vet, i'd also give it a clean with diluted betadine. Is she feeding ok??

Jane,
Thanx for the welcome. I have a feeling I will be spending a lot of time here learning all I can about our new family member. I read as much as i could the week before she came home with us, but I know I have a lot to learn. My main concern right now, other than her burned mouth, is her enclosure. I found out she is being housed in a chameleon enclosure. That is how she got burned to begin with as there is NOTHING for me to attach the heat lamp to and I had to put it inside of the mesh. I didn't feel safe just setting it on top as I didn't want to start a fire. I have now rigged up a temp solution until we can get her a new house. I moved another lamp close to her and attached the heat lamp to that. It is not above her but shinning in from the side. I figure as long as she is getting heat and can not burn herself it's good. We plan on getting the Exo Terra Natural Terrarium in 36'x18'x18'. It is quite pricey but I think it's a nice one. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Read more: http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/index.php?threads/burn-first-aid.4580/#ixzz1YbKC90Yu

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Jane,
Thanx for the welcome. I have a feeling I will be spending a lot of time here learning all I can about our new family member. I read as much as i could the week before she came home with us, but I know I have a lot to learn. My main concern right now, other than her burned mouth, is her enclosure. I found out she is being housed in a chameleon enclosure. That is how she got burned to begin with as there is NOTHING for me to attach the heat lamp to and I had to put it inside of the mesh. I didn't feel safe just setting it on top as I didn't want to start a fire. I have now rigged up a temp solution until we can get her a new house. I moved another lamp close to her and attached the heat lamp to that. It is not above her but shinning in from the side. I figure as long as she is getting heat and can not burn herself it's good. We plan on getting the Exo Terra Natural Terrarium in 36'x18'x18'. It is quite pricey but I think it's a nice one. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Read more: http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/index.php?threads/burn-first-aid.4580/#ixzz1YbKC90Yu

Where are you? In the Uk there are usually Vivs for sale on Ebay or Gumtree at reasonable prices as they are very expensive buying new. Just make sure you give it a good clean when you get it home :)

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Where are you? In the Uk there are usually Vivs for sale on Ebay or Gumtree at reasonable prices as they are very expensive buying new. Just make sure you give it a good clean when you get it home :)
I'm in the US. I have checked Craigslist and Ebay and haven't seen anything worth housing my baby in.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok, sounds like all you are offering is crickets? You need to offer greens/salad as a staple in her diet. Here is a link to a "food bible" which l use. It's great, easy to read and colour coded. Make sure you offer things like dandelion greens/flowers, collard greens, endive, carrot tops, turnip tops, beetroot tops and squash as a daily offering. You can mix it up by adding things like bok choy, apple pear, carrots, beasn, bean, pansy flowers, lavander, mint, rocket, bell peppers every so often.
Please make sure that you ask as may questions as you feel you need too. No one knows everything. I can't remember who but someone on here today me something that has stuck and i quote it all the time.
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
I find that to be really true.

http://carolinadesignerdragons.com/common/docs/food_list.pdf

Aussie's rock " i should know, l am one"

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Richard,
I checked out the link and it told me the closest vet was in Kansas, I am in Virginia, LOL. So I guess I will just have to search it out another way. Thank you so much for your help though. I did speak to my vet yesterday and he said to leave it alone and keep an eye on it. As long as it scabs over, which it has, and isn't oozie it should heal up ok. Said beardies were tough. He didn't want to give me anything to put on it as it is her mouth and he didn't think we needed to take the chance of her ingesting anything that wasn't necessary. She has been really mellow and will not eat her crickets??? I put calcium powder on them and I think that might have turned her off. I will try again later today. I have continued misting her twice a day to make sure she isn't getting dehydrated. I am still worried about her but am keeping close tabs.
you didnt do something right. click on member directory on the left side of page. when new page appears, under state, click on virginia. dont fill in the other fields. just do state only. it pulled up for me.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok, sounds like all you are offering is crickets? You need to offer greens/salad as a staple in her diet. Here is a link to a "food bible" which l use. It's great, easy to read and colour coded. Make sure you offer things like dandelion greens/flowers, collard greens, endive, carrot tops, turnip tops, beetroot tops and squash as a daily offering. You can mix it up by adding things like bok choy, apple pear, carrots, beasn, bean, pansy flowers, lavander, mint, rocket, bell peppers every so often.
Please make sure that you ask as may questions as you feel you need too. No one knows everything. I can't remember who but someone on here today me something that has stuck and i quote it all the time.
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
I find that to be really true.

http://carolinadesignerdragons.com/common/docs/food_list.pdf

Aussie's rock " i should know, l am one"
No, no I give her LOTS of greens and I offered a little bit of apple the other day. I grind carrots in the food processor for her, etc. But I know she LOVED crickets so I was surprised when she didn't gobble them right up the other day. Thanx for the additional info though. I have a book that I read that informed me that rhubarb and avocado along with fireflies are deadly to beardies. So I have REALLY tried to inform myself and continue to do so. Again thanx so much for any info you care to share. I am brand new at this and appreciate and welcome any new friends and their knowledge!!!

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
you didnt do something right. click on member directory on the left side of page. when new page appears, under state, click on virginia. dont fill in the other fields. just do state only. it pulled up for me.
I will try again, thank you!!!!

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I just wanted to give all of you an update. Scarlet is healing up wonderful!!!! Her mouth/burn is completely dried up and looks like it is well on it's way to being healed. She ate ALL of her food yesterday and gobbled up some crickets this morning. THANK YOU all so very much for your help. I was so worried about her and am thankful that it has turned out ok.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It worked this time. The closest one is only about 45 min from me so that is awesome! Thank you so much.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
hi 117star and welcome to the forum. Your poor Scarlet sounds like shes had a bit of a rough time what with previous owner and having her in the wrong set up. So what type of lights do you have. IF it was a cham set up then that should be an aboreal viv ( tall one) so beardie should not have been able to reach light, a 36x18x18 sounds much better for her. with your lights depending on what style of viv you have you can either make the basking spot low enoguh so she cant actually reach the bulb or make sure there is a cover/cage over it. People set tank up different ways but basicalyl as lnog as your temps heat/uvb are correct thats what counts.

Plus as said i would never put petrolum jelly on a beardie - think about it they bask and cook. I was told once for a beardie with mites to cover it in PJ and then put it back in its tank - thankfully im sensible enough NOT to have done that as the poor thing would have fried.With wounds if your not sure dont put nothing but water on it until you get advice from a vet or someone that breeds or been keeping said reptile for yrs, or something you find in a store that said its especially for reptiles.

I have to be quite honest that I have no idea what kind of UV light is in the fixture at this time. As far as heat I am just using a regular 75 watt bulb at this time. Yes, the setup is a tall one rather than long and needs to be replaced ASAP. Like I said before we are going to get the Exo Terra 36x18x18 for her. As far as her getting to the lamp in the first place, it was inside of the enclosure. I was simply following the advice of the previous owner by doing this. I know now that I made a BIG mistake and feel awful for it. He used to keep her outside in warmer weather and said he didn't use a heat lamp at this time. As mentioned before I have rigged up a temp solution for that problem. There is a wooden type (bathroom) shelf inside of her cage for her to climb on, the light was above this. She climbed to the top of this and stretched herself enough to where her nose was touching the lamp. I am getting ready to go pick up a light hood for her from another friend who previously owned a beardie. I have not actually seen it but she said it holds a nightlight, basking light and tube UV bulb all in one housing. She said it was easy to switch from the bulbs simply by sliding a switch. Once I get it and find out the sizes, etc. I am heading to Petsmart to get all new bulbs. My biggest concern with this is where to put it. Like I said the enclosure she has now is nylon mesh and I do not feel safe setting any kind of light directly on top of this as I am afraid it will catch on fire. So until we get the new home I will have to again rig up something that is safe for all of us. I am also unclear on the best substrate to use. She is in red calcium sand right now, but from what I have read sand is not a good choice. She has been in it for 2 1/2 years though and seems to be doing fine. She likes to dig around in it. Any advice???

Latest posts