• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Building a New Tank!!

Victoria Muzzarelli

Hatchling Dragon
Since I can't afford to buy the size tank that I want, I've decided to build my own for cheaper. The tank will be 4'x2'x2' which I've calculated to be about 120 gallons. The walls will be made out of ACX Plywood, which I have confirmed to be safe for my beardie, and I purchased some ceramic tile for the floor (previously he had paper towel but he would literally pull it up and poop under it). Only thing I am waiting for is some chicken wire from Amazon. Is this a good plan? Will my beardie be able to thrive in this tank?

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Since I can't afford to buy the size tank that I want, I've decided to build my own for cheaper. The tank will be 4'x2'x2' which I've calculated to be about 120 gallons. The walls will be made out of ACX Plywood, which I have confirmed to be safe for my beardie, and I purchased some ceramic tile for the floor (previously he had paper towel but he would literally pull it up and poop under it). Only thing I am waiting for is some chicken wire from Amazon. Is this a good plan? Will my beardie be able to thrive in this tank?
Hello, you can use chicken wire for the top but if your dragon likes to climb it could get a foot stuck and the edges can be a little sharp. If it were me I would put wood on the top and then put holes or slits on the sides. But I think it would work just fine, that's just what I would do. Just if you do, make sure to put a cross beam in the middle for support.

Victoria Muzzarelli

Hatchling Dragon
Yep! that's the plan! I'm also trying to find some more things for my dragon to climb on that aren't at a crazy high price, do you have any suggestions on where to look?

averyhanna_

Bearded Dragon Veteran
i got a hammock and a “ladder” from amazon that my guy loves! you can use driftwood from outside but make sure you sanitize it first. good luck and keep us updated how everything goes! good luck

Victoria Muzzarelli

Hatchling Dragon
I finished the tank a couple of days ago, and my beardie absolutely loves how much more space he has! I'm waiting on a bigger T5 UVB bulb so he can get the nutrients he needs, but until that arrives I'll be taking him outside into the sunlight periodically. His basking temps have looked good so far, and he got his crickets yesterday, which he had a blast chasing around in his new tank!

Victoria Muzzarelli

Hatchling Dragon
Also, I want to start feeding him BSFL, which I've heard is a good staple but I wanted to double check before I ordered them from dubiaroaches.com

AlexS9899

Bearded Dragon Egg
Can you post a picture of your tank? We are planning on buying a 120 gal. Tank just waiting in saving up the money for it. If building our own is simple and nice I might just follow in your footsteps!

1geanette

Bearded Dragon Egg
I finished the tank a couple of days ago, and my beardie absolutely loves how much more space he has! I'm waiting on a bigger T5 UVB bulb so he can get the nutrients he needs, but until that arrives I'll be taking him outside into the sunlight periodically. His basking temps have looked good so far, and he got his crickets yesterday, which he had a blast chasing around in his new tank!

Wow! Send a pic! My dragons need a bigger tank too, but like you, I feel like its sooo expensive and I thought of making a couple of new tanks too. My beardies are a year old, they don't climb but they will jump. Currently my place is kind of small but based on what you've built; do you think a stackable version can be built?

Thomas J sobczynski

Hatchling Dragon
If you use a under the tank heater, plywood may be a fire hazard.
I have a tank with the same dementions but the walls and the bo.ttom are PVC. Plus the uvb, basking bulb, and a night tim heating bulb.
ttom are. I have 2 under the tank heating pads.

1geanette

Bearded Dragon Egg
If you use a under the tank heater, plywood may be a fire hazard.
I have a tank with the same dementions but the walls and the bo.ttom are PVC. Plus the uvb, basking bulb, and a night tim heating bulb.
ttom are. I have 2 under the tank heating pads.
Hi Thomas,
There's no fire hazard with the PVC? Why not (color me clueless)? Isn't it plastic or something? Or is it strong enough that the under tank heater can't melt it?

Thomas J sobczynski

Hatchling Dragon
Hi Thomas,
There's no fire hazard with the PVC? Why not (color me clueless)? Isn't it plastic or something? Or is it strong enough that the under tank heater can't melt it?
That's what Zen habits told me. I originally ordered a tank made with some type of wood but they told me don't use under the tank heaters. So I switched them and everything has been fine. That was over 5 months ago.

Victoria Muzzarelli

Hatchling Dragon
I don't use under the tank heaters, don't worry. I do have a ceramic bulb to keep the temp up, and his basking temps have been normal.

Victoria Muzzarelli

Hatchling Dragon
Based on what I've built, I don't really think it would be a good idea to stack it. Also if you're planning to build one as well be prepared to spend at least $100 on materials. Here's the pic of the tank, I know you can't see my UVB but that's just from this angle. I got a 36''x24'' sliding window for the door and it works pretty well, but some parts of the tank are harder to reach than others
2020-07-16.jpg