• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Building a New Enclosure

ENY11207

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello all, so I've already framed out my two enclosures for my beardies, Bailey and Kai. Next step is to add the styrofoam so that I can start shaping and grouting it. However, I don't want to use styrofoam and grout for the sides and back. My fear is that my feeders would be able to scale the sides and back very easily making it challenging for my beardies to eat. Is there something I can use to coat the sides and back that would make it difficult for feeders to navigate. I'm thinking about using vinyl tile on the back and sides but not sure how it would look with the overall design. TIA.

ENY11207

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
To add to my original post, what I am hoping for is something that I can add to the grout to make certain areas to smooth or slick for the feeders to climb.Something that will give said areas a "glass-like" finish. Thanks again.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I saw someone use glass tile for the back and sides of their tank. It made the tank walls look like the walls in a subway station.

ENY11207

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks Patsy.That might make the enclosure heavy. My main concern is with crickets which I've decided I'll no longer use as feeders. To this point, I have only been feeding them crickets and supers. I'll do roaches instead of crickets. As with the supers, there's no worry about them getting out of a dish.

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks Patsy.That might make the enclosure heavy. My main concern is with crickets which I've decided I'll no longer use as feeders. To this point, I have only been feeding them crickets and supers. I'll do roaches instead of crickets. As with the supers, there's no worry about them getting out of a dish.
Roaches will find a way.... i've tried 3 different bowls; these dubias will be the death of me....they are like ants making roach ladders....and climbing out....

ENY11207

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Roaches will find a way.... i've tried 3 different bowls; these dubias will be the death of me....they are like ants making roach ladders....and climbing out....
Are you kidding me. To think I thought I had it figured out.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea the roaches are pretty creative sneaky critters... They will climb ontop of eachother or on the greens to get out.. I find that for the most part only the large juv to adults end up getting out.. I've also started cutting off the last leg on each side this keeps them in a bit better.. the nice thing is roaches won't bite a sleeping dragon..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yea the roaches are pretty creative sneaky critters... They will climb ontop of eachother or on the greens to get out.. I find that for the most part only the large juv to adults end up getting out.. I've also started cutting off the last leg on each side this keeps them in a bit better.. the nice thing is roaches won't bite a sleeping dragon..

That's what I do with crickets for my spoiled frog. I pull the back legs off so they can't jump out of the food bowl!