• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bugs how often?

Chicklet

Hatchling Dragon
I joined a group for bearded dragon owners that said everyone gives their beardie a way too many insects. I said we give Chichi typically five roaches a day and they gave me a plan to change to to three times a week, then two, then once a week. I wanted to confirm this for a week before I drop her bug intake so much.

Thanks!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It really depends on how old your dragon is.. babies need to be fed 3 times a day, juvi can be fed 2 times a day adults 1 time a day.. Salad everyday some adults will eat bugs 1-2 times a week...

Chicklet

Hatchling Dragon
It really depends on how old your dragon is.. babies need to be fed 3 times a day, juvi can be fed 2 times a day adults 1 time a day.. Salad everyday some adults will eat bugs 1-2 times a week...
Well she’s a year old and hasn’t actually seemed to stop growing although it’s slowed. Thanks for getting back to me I’ll follow that plan and cut back

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well she’s a year old and hasn’t actually seemed to stop growing although it’s slowed. Thanks for getting back to me I’ll follow that plan and cut back
Your welcome as long as her belly isn't dragging on the floor as she moves around your pretty safe, you'll just have to see what works for her. My female is 2 1/2 and she will eat bugs about 2times a week....now if I have a freshly molted dubia she will indulge in quite a few lol
My male is 11/2 and he will eat about 1 time a week sometimes more but he's also really slowing down to brumate.
My baby well he's a eating machine LOL

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I agree, it all depends on the age and the weight of the dragon. What I learned with my dragons, is they let me know when they wanted to stop eating so much. I feed them 3x a day when they were babies but as they got older they only wanted to eat 2x then 1x. Then when they truly became adults I feed them every day but most days they refuse. Except my boy who is a bit overweight, so with him I do limit the number of bugs he gets and I do stick to a 3x a week feeding.

Chicklet

Hatchling Dragon
I agree, it all depends on the age and the weight of the dragon. What I learned with my dragons, is they let me know when they wanted to stop eating so much. I feed them 3x a day when they were babies but as they got older they only wanted to eat 2x then 1x. Then when they truly became adults I feed them every day but most days they refuse. Except my boy who is a bit overweight, so with him I do limit the number of bugs he gets and I do stick to a 3x a week feeding.
Thanks! I think my girl is a little tubby and I really want to nip it in the bud.