• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bugs for Bearded Dragon?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They are Dubia roaches they are not the typical cockroach just for clarification. If you are just going to house some and are not breeding then all you need to do is take the egg carton that white one and dump it into that clear bin, they can't fly. you can leave the food on the bottom or put a lid like to mayo jars full of the food, get another lid and put water crystals in that one. You don't need oranges if your not going to breed them, just know that they may breed even if you don't want them too. Oranges are acidic so don't feed them to them if those are the only ones you have as that acidity goes to the dragon and high acidic foods should be avoided... Put another cardboard egg carton top or bottom in there for them to hide under.
The key thing to remember what your dubia's eat your dragon will be eating... so give them good food their GI tracks are long so your dragon will be getting what they have been eating... You can give them leftover greens that you give to your dragon, I make my own dry chow as I wrote earlier in this thread.
If you are going to be getting more dubia's then get a 30gal dark tub, egg cartons held up by the skewers, jar lids at one end (the cooler end) with the water crystals and leftover greens and the chow.

reneeiv

Hatchling Dragon
I have fish, birds and a gerbil now. Gerbil I am tired of for it wants nothing to do with me. Have been offered a 75 gallon tank. It is perfect for a bearded dragon.

Researched food for Dubia roaches. I am concerned that the food would attract the house roaches. I had a roach break out when my water heater leaked for a few months under the kitchen counter top. Took months to get it under control. Duck tape is around my tanks to catch any roaches that drop down to the top of the tank.

Now leaning towards super worms. Thinking of buying 200. Then but at least 21 in small containers. I wonder how long the worms in a box with oats etc will live? For vegies I think I will start growing some in a 20g long tank outside.

reneeiv

Hatchling Dragon
The more I think of my work hours, 12hrs 4days, and the diet the bearded dragon needs, I don't I think I will have the time or energy to take care it properly. That is why I joined this forum. For I am impulsive by nature. I needed to make certain that this was a good idea. Just amazed at the fearless of the animals when they are small. Going to research geckos next.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The more I think of my work hours, 12hrs 4days, and the diet the bearded dragon needs, I don't I think I will have the time or energy to take care it properly. That is why I joined this forum. For I am impulsive by nature. I needed to make certain that this was a good idea. Just amazed at the fearless of the animals when they are small. Going to research geckos next.

Bearded dragons really are great creatures and maybe some day you can get one. They really do rely on us for everything. They are solitary animals but they really bond with us and look to us to provide them with their food and entertainment and they thrive on that. Geckos are pretty awesome because you can hold them and they are awake at night. They have a bit different care than dragons. All the things we tell people not to use for a bearded dragon, you can use for a gecko. The red light at night, heat mat, water bowl are all good for them. Good luck with what you decide!

reneeiv

Hatchling Dragon
Bearded dragons really are great creatures and maybe some day you can get one. They really do rely on us for everything. They are solitary animals but they really bond with us and look to us to provide them with their food and entertainment and they thrive on that. Geckos are pretty awesome because you can hold them and they are awake at night. They have a bit different care than dragons. All the things we tell people not to use for a bearded dragon, you can use for a gecko. The red light at night, heat mat, water bowl are all good for them. Good luck with what you decide!
Thanks!!

Kazzy08

Hatchling Dragon

Might I suggest Crested geckos? VERY easy care and they don't require so many insects :)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

reneeiv

Hatchling Dragon
Might I suggest Crested geckos? VERY easy care and they don't require so many insects :)

Crested geckos is what I am researching now. Even if I can not get it tamed an vivarium would be interesting to have.

reneeiv

Hatchling Dragon
They are loads of fun and very easy to care for. Feel free to message me if you want any info on them :)

I can not figure out how to send you a private message. I see you are selling them at $300. That is to much for me. July I am going to Repticon. Before then hope to have an vivarium set up. Thinking of taking a 20h and standing it on end. Then glue something that I can slide plexiglass into. There will be 2 pieces so I could make a gap for circulation. I have researched the food and it seems to be an animal I will have time and funds to feed. What I am uncertain about is how to keep the humidity at the right level. How do you manage the humidity?

Kazzy08

Hatchling Dragon
I can not figure out how to send you a private message. I see you are selling them at $300. That is to much for me. July I am going to Repticon. Before then hope to have an vivarium set up. Thinking of taking a 20h and standing it on end. Then glue something that I can slide plexiglass into. There will be 2 pieces so I could make a gap for circulation. I have researched the food and it seems to be an animal I will have time and funds to feed. What I am uncertain about is how to keep the humidity at the right level. How do you manage the humidity?
I'll message you :)

firehawk0285

Bearded Dragon Egg
Dubias are where it's at. Not very expensive either, if you get them from a good online source. I highly recommend discountdubias.com/home.

Latest posts