• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

BSFL medium/ground walnut - topic ingestion

mrbeardface

Bearded Dragon Egg
I feed BSFL from dubiaroaches.com. it didnt occur to me that the medium could be harmful if ingested. in the past i have taken the BSFL and put in the dish with my fingers, allowing small amounts of the medium to get in the bowl. my beardie is precise with his tongue and doesnt seem to eat it but its possible he has ingested some.

today i asked them what it is and they said its mainly walnut with some other things. i read about it and apparently walnut is sharp and can damage the GI tract. feeling dumb for not just using the sifter every time...is his GI tract fucked if he ate this stuff? how likely is impaction?

also is it just gonna be in there forever since its not digestible?

he typically has a regular poop schedule every day or every other day but currently hasnt pooped in 6 days so im like oh jeez is this cuz of the walnut bits? or am i just worrying AGAIN for no reason? i had been doing this for 4 months without issue and only considered it now because of the lack of poops. hes just over 6 months old.

def sifting every time now... i have severe anxiety so idk how much of a situation this actually is vs my worrying for no reason cuz that has happened countless times.

Thanks

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I feed BSFL from dubiaroaches.com. it didnt occur to me that the medium could be harmful if ingested. in the past i have taken the BSFL and put in the dish with my fingers, allowing small amounts of the medium to get in the bowl. my beardie is precise with his tongue and doesnt seem to eat it but its possible he has ingested some.

today i asked them what it is and they said its mainly walnut with some other things. i read about it and apparently walnut is sharp and can damage the GI tract. feeling dumb for not just using the sifter every time...is his GI tract fucked if he ate this stuff? how likely is impaction?

also is it just gonna be in there forever since its not digestible?

he typically has a regular poop schedule every day or every other day but currently hasnt pooped in 6 days so im like oh jeez is this cuz of the walnut bits? or am i just worrying AGAIN for no reason? i had been doing this for 4 months without issue and only considered it now because of the lack of poops. hes just over 6 months old.

def sifting every time now... i have severe anxiety so idk how much of a situation this actually is vs my worrying for no reason cuz that has happened countless times.

Thanks
Your dragon is fine --- his slowing of the poops is normal - as they get older they do not poop as often -- my adult dragons can go for a month w / out pooping -- its when they eat something like insects too big for them or sand -- walnut is not good for a substrate because of the sharp edges but the substrate the BSFL is in is a fine dirt type -- if your concerned about it start rinsing the larvae before feeding - that is what I did --

Latest posts