• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

BSFL for baby dragon

Iwantabeardie

Hatchling Dragon
I have a baby beardie around 9 months as far as i know, and i feed him BSFL. I want to know how many bugs to feed him in the morning and how many in the afternoon because the amount I have been giving him caused him to not poop for a week and a half. We fixed his constipation but we want to know how much to feed him so it doesn't happen again. I put the bugs on the floor and let them crawl away a bit so he has a bit of space between each one to ensure he chews them all.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a baby beardie around 9 months as far as i know, and i feed him BSFL. I want to know how many bugs to feed him in the morning and how many in the afternoon because the amount I have been giving him caused him to not poop for a week and a half. We fixed his constipation but we want to know how much to feed him so it doesn't happen again. I put the bugs on the floor and let them crawl away a bit so he has a bit of space between each one to ensure he chews them all.
I was going to suggest feeding them slowly as they tend to gobble them down to quickly and come out undigested - I suggest feeding him 50 or so but I would also suggest feeding another staple feeder as well - crickets or dubia roaches is what I recommend --- they are a better staple feeder than crickets and easier to care for they are more nutritionist and last longer than crickets - you can add worms to the diets as well like super worms - or silk worms too they are another great staple feeder - I would use your BSFL as salad toppers - he needs salads every morning I hope you have been feeding salads as well here are some websites to get some of the things I have mentioned
www.reptilianarts.com
www.dubiaroaches.com
www.mulberryfarms.com only place for butter worms great worm for treats and salad toppers
www.coastalsilkworms.com
www.symptonbsf.com
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
Your going to need
a glass or ceramic bowl to feed him out of one that insects cant get out of
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Go look at some of the sites I posted --- only use 1-3 supers on his salad and make sure you get the insect the size he can eat - do not get them too big - rule of thumb no bigger than the space between his eyes length wise --

Iwantabeardie

Hatchling Dragon
i used to do supers but they grew too fast, he eats a ton of kale every day, 50 bugs total per day or 50 per feeding?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i used to do supers but they grew too fast, he eats a ton of kale every day, 50 bugs total per day or 50 per feeding?
Ok supers should not grow that fast nor get real big are you sure they were supers? Your describing horn worms which are green and it's great he's eating kale- I posted the website for nutrition - I would offer a variety insect they like variety and then he won't get bored

Latest posts