• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation?

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
This new Vet I took Dino to yesterday claims that when a BD goes into Brumation to not let them stay in Brumation no longer than 2 months. Can anyone clarify if this is true? She said you would want to try to bring them out of it slowly. I haven't ever had to deal with this so I want to be prepared so I do not rush them to the vet for every little thing in which I am notorious for doing. Also do you leave all lights and heat source off while they are in Brumation?

Pat B

Super Moderator
Well....my Spike has been in brumation since the end of October and he is still sleeping. I have no intention of waking him up. He went to sleep when he was about 10 months which is unusual for a beardie that young. But....Germ....said it is possible so I let him go. The UVB and heat source have been off this entire time. I wouldn't try to wake him up....when he is ready to wake up he will. I am just hoping that he will change his attitude and eating habits when he decides to come back to the world!! LOL!! Also....it is usually in the fall when beardies go into brumation.
One more little hint....before I would go to the vet....come here first and see if you can get your questions answered. Vets are expensive and not covered by insurance!! :D So far I haven't had to use one!!