• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation

GlobularDuck

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've read a lot of articles on brumation and they all seem a little ambiguous on when it happens. In the last week my beardie has just stopped coming out of his cave. Two weeks ago in October he was all over the place and now nothing. I don't think he's even eaten in 2 days. If I pull him out of his cave and offer him some bugs he will gobble them down but then goes right back in his cave for the rest of the day. I thought right now was early for brumation but is that wrong? When I take him out to check on him he's alert and all just not interested. Doesn't seem unhealthy just sleepy. He's 3 years old.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've read a lot of articles on brumation and they all seem a little ambiguous on when it happens. In the last week my beardie has just stopped coming out of his cave. Two weeks ago in October he was all over the place and now nothing. I don't think he's even eaten in 2 days. If I pull him out of his cave and offer him some bugs he will gobble them down but then goes right back in his cave for the rest of the day. I thought right now was early for brumation but is that wrong? When I take him out to check on him he's alert and all just not interested. Doesn't seem unhealthy just sleepy. He's 3 years old.
It is that time of year- he's not basking after eating? To make sure it's brumation I am guessing it is let's go over uvb and basking temps - we need to rule out lighting first- incorrect lighting can cause brumation behavior- are you using a coil or long tube fixture-- is it on the top of screen or inside and how are you getting basking temps?

GlobularDuck

Bearded Dragon Egg
It is that time of year- he's not basking after eating? To make sure it's brumation I am guessing it is let's go over uvb and basking temps - we need to rule out lighting first- incorrect lighting can cause brumation behavior- are you using a coil or long tube fixture-- is it on the top of screen or inside and how are you getting basking temps?
He’s basking now because I took him out of his cave to check on him and he ate a few grasshoppers. Basking temp is like 90-95, UV is a 10.0 tube T5.

Attachments

• DE103111-B2B0-4E21-9E20-F8356DA89764.jpeg
    DE103111-B2B0-4E21-9E20-F8356DA89764.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 2

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He’s basking now because I took him out of his cave to check on him and he ate a few grasshoppers. Basking temp is like 90-95, UV is a 10.0 tube T5.
Ok do you have the T 5 I'm the tank or top? Screen makes a difference fine screen like a screen door needs to be inside the tank 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor wide hole 8-10 directly above the basking decor- I would get basking temp up to 95-100 and get temp w/ a digital probe thermometer- other wise it sounds good-