• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

brumation

lionthebeardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i think my beardie is starting the process of going into brumation, and just needed some tips on how to prepare him for it. i know the basics, like baths to keep him hydrated and making sure he poops before but i was wondering about lighting. should i shorten the lighting hours over the time he’s sleeping? if so by how much?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i think my beardie is starting the process of going into brumation, and just needed some tips on how to prepare him for it. i know the basics, like baths to keep him hydrated and making sure he poops before but i was wondering about lighting. should i shorten the lighting hours over the time he’s sleeping? if so by how much?
To be sure it is actual brumation we need to ask some questions
how old is the dragon?
What kind of UVB are you using coil or tube if its a tube where is the fixture in the tank or inside ?
Basking temps what are they and how are you getting them? No stick ons please
In correct lighting will simulate brumation behavior so to be sure we need to rule those things out please
I can post some info for you --- you do not need to bath the dragon if hes sleeping - you can get him out every 10-14 days to see if he wants water - weigh him on a kitchen food scale weigh in grams to make sure hes not losing weight - he should not sleep more than 3 months if he does there is a issue

lionthebeardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
To be sure it is actual brumation we need to ask some questions
how old is the dragon?
What kind of UVB are you using coil or tube if its a tube where is the fixture in the tank or inside ?
Basking temps what are they and how are you getting them? No stick ons please
In correct lighting will simulate brumation behavior so to be sure we need to rule those things out please
I can post some info for you --- you do not need to bath the dragon if hes sleeping - you can get him out every 10-14 days to see if he wants water - weigh him on a kitchen food scale weigh in grams to make sure hes not losing weight - he should not sleep more than 3 months if he does there is a issue
thank you. he is about a year and seven months, and has a uvb tube (t5 with a reflective hood, if that’s helpful) the temperature in the basking area is 32 degrees celsius also.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
thank you. he is about a year and seven months, and has a uvb tube (t5 with a reflective hood, if that’s helpful) the temperature in the basking area is 32 degrees celsius also.
Where is the uvb? If it's on a screen is the screen a wide hole type or fine mesh + or if it's in the tank is it directly above him distance 12-15 inches

Dr. D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i think a basking temp of 35 to 38c might be better

lionthebeardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Where is the uvb? If it's on a screen is the screen a wide hole type or fine mesh + or if it's in the tank is it directly above him distance 12-15 inches
sorry, i forgot to mention that. it’s in the tank, and is around 12-15 inches away from him.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Don't feed as much when they brumate either. There bodies are kind of shutting down during this period of time and most likely won't be out to bask. Of course always provide salad daily but cut down on the bugs if they don't want to eat them.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
if hes not basking dont give him food, if he comes out to bask for a second day in a row, then offer food, you dont want food or stool fermenting inside of him, don’t disturb him, dont give him baths, a healthy dragon in brumation can go months without food or water, yes do limit his photo period, take one hour from morning and one hour from nighttime, put a towel over the enclosure to help reduce stimulation, the best thing u can do is nothing, just let him chill and sleep, keep an eye out for black bearding and other behaviors.

Latest posts