• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation

My bearded dragon went into brumation again should I wake him up to poop or leave him to sleep?

• wake him up

• leave him alone

Results are only viewable after voting.

Artemis

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,
This is my first brumation and I want to make sure I am doing everything right.

My bearded dragon went to the bathroom prior to going to sleep. I had been leaving him greens in case he got up but he never ate. Every other day I dripped water on his nose to make sure he was not dehydrated.

One week later, I gave him a quick bath and dried him off letting him sit under the light for a few minutes. I put him back in his cave but he came out and ate greens. He stayed up for about five days during which he basked and ate a small amount of greens, a few dubias, and one hornworm. I thought his brumation was done but he went back to sleep a few days ago. Should I wake him to poop again or should I leave him be?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello,
This is my first brumation and I want to make sure I am doing everything right.

My bearded dragon went to the bathroom prior to going to sleep. I had been leaving him greens in case he got up but he never ate. Every other day I dripped water on his nose to make sure he was not dehydrated.

One week later, I gave him a quick bath and dried him off letting him sit under the light for a few minutes. I put him back in his cave but he came out and ate greens. He stayed up for about five days during which he basked and ate a small amount of greens, a few dubias, and one hornworm. I thought his brumation was done but he went back to sleep a few days ago. Should I wake him to poop again or should I leave him be?
You should make sure that he poops before sleeping for more than a few days, as you don't want the food to rot in his belly.

Halgerl

Hatchling Dragon
From what I have seen and read, dragons will wake up to poop if they need to, they aren’t consuming much if they’re mostly sleeping. My friend’s beardie went into brumation and she would wake up every few days to munch on some kale and poop and then go back to sleep

Artemis

Bearded Dragon Egg
From what I have seen and read, dragons will wake up to poop if they need to, they aren’t consuming much if they’re mostly sleeping. My friend’s beardie went into brumation and she would wake up every few days to munch on some kale and poop and then go back to sleep
He wakes up and eats but he hasn't pooped since the brumation started March 20th. He hasn't eaten a whole bunch of food and he has spent time in his basking spot so I would assume it is digested but I worry about the food rotting because many sites warn of this. I figured if he needed to poop he would just get up and do it. I feel the cons of constantly forcing him to wake up to bathe are just as bad as him not pooping.

Latest posts