• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
What are the signs leading to brumation and during? I may be going through it with Luci but i'm not sure. This is what he's been doing:

The boy who usually can't wait for his fresh salad in the morning has shown little interest in it. He also hasn't been interested in his worms as much. Since he hasn't eaten as much, poop has gone from once a day to maybe once every 3 days. Although, yesterday morning he ate some mustards and turnip greens and this morning he ate a bowl of super worms. This is the first he's eaten that much since Thursday.

Stopped the constant running around his tank and now either sits flattened out on the warm side of his tank with sexy legs or on one of his ledges completely stretched out. Eyes are very sleepy looking.

Friday I gave him a bath and he pooped in the tub. He also drank a lot of water, which was a first for him. Put him on the back of the chair in the window and he was alert watching the people walk by. When he goes back in his tank, it's back to being lazy.

I think it could be brumation because it has been below zero here for a week. His night time temps have gotten down to about 67 but his daytime temps have been normal. If it is brumation do I turn his lights completely off and when do I do that? Do I wait until his eyes have been closed for some time?

Do they always hide when they go into brumation? He hasn't tried to do that. He has never been a hider. He has a small half log and a warm fuzzy tunnel in his tank but he has never gone into either of them. He has always wanted to be up high so he can watch things. Even when he would nap he would have one eye half open in case he missed something.

I made him a make shift tent with a fuzzy blanket, I put him in it and so far he's stayed there. I'll put up a picture later, it's on my cell phone.

I also wonder if he is just being lazy because of the fluctuation in the temperature.

sigh....Dexter was so much easier to take care of at this age!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Here he is, of course after I typed my post he is more awake and thinking about eating his greens!
20150111_095636.jpg

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It does sound like your dragon might be slowing down, but its important to remember that not every lizard does this the same. Some will go down and be out for months, others do a sort of half slow down like yours is doing. So its generally best to let them do their thing and see how they play out. Keep the lights and food as is, since it seems like yours may not go down for the count. (That he still is basking is a sign)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Thanks Jarich. He moved around the tank a bit while I was out now he's resting on his hammock. I'll keep everything the same.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The plus side of this whole thing is he isn't running around his tank all day trying to get out! I guess Dexter went through a slowdown last winter too. She wasn't so dramatic as he is, she just sat on her ledge all day. He takes a few steps and then lays completely down for an hour or so. Here I thought she was the drama queen!

Latest posts