• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation or Unhealthily Lethargic?

beeneufe

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi everyone,

So I have read a bit here and there about brumation, and I THINK Artemis is going under for the Winter but she is a bit... odd.
She spent 3 days in her hide, shifting her position, but not coming out. She had done that a week before but I took her out to bathe her and she acted normally again, eating and pooping before returning to her hide for another couple days. I took her for another bath yesterday and she pooped, now is back to the hide. She is not sleeping, but pokes her head out in the morning/afternoon then returns to the hide fully. My brother said he saw her scratching around as well (no eggs though, checked her belly).

Is this normal for brumation or something else? Just curious because she seems a little silly poking her head out in the mornings.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like my Izzy she is doing the same thing. It is the season for them to slow down. Just make sure that she doesn't go down to sleep with food in her belly as it can rot and cause infection..Watch to make sure she doesn't loose alot of weight and keep her hydrated by bathing her.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
My boy is doing the exact thing. Sits in his hide for a day with his eyes open, sleeps a bit then comes out to eat and poop. I just had him out for some free time and he just sat in one spot instead of running around the house exploring.

beeneufe

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Good to know this seems like a common thing then! She had her head poking out for a couple hours yesterday but now she has retreated to her hide fully. Lucky girl, wish I could sleep the winter months away :rolleyes:

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
fyi - there really is no "normal" for brumation. the last male i had was out for months. my current guy goes under for a few days, then is up for a few days. my female - ? well, it's hard to tell - she's a slug at the best of times !!

Latest posts