• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

brumation or sickness?

Zappier

Bearded Dragon Egg
hi there i have a three year old dragon and she’s really sucky about eating greens but is probably healthy, she started hiding in her cave more a month ago until now where she spends every day in her cave, is she sick is she just doing normal stuff? how can i tell?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hi there i have a three year old dragon and she’s really sucky about eating greens but is probably healthy, she started hiding in her cave more a month ago until now where she spends every day in her cave, is she sick is she just doing normal stuff? how can i tell?
This is normal time of year for them to be going in to brumation but your lighting and temps in the tank can also simulate brumation behavior --- if your using a coil UVB those are a health hazard -- long tube fixture is the best there are 3 good ones recommended not all sold are good ones - it needs to be properly placed and distanced for the screen on the tank -- you want surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- analogs are good for ambient temps only
https://www.beardeddragon.org/resources/brumation-in-bearded-dragons.4/
Do you have a weight on the dragon? You dont want them brumating for longer than 3 months - I recommend you get the dragon out every 2-3 weeks get a weight and offer water -- weigh the dragon in grams on a kitchen food scale - have you been giving vitamins w/ beta carotene on her insects? She needs vitamins if shes not eating greens- what have you tried to entice her to the salad bowl?

Zappier

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is normal time of year for them to be going in to brumation but your lighting and temps in the tank can also simulate brumation behavior --- if your using a coil UVB those are a health hazard -- long tube fixture is the best there are 3 good ones recommended not all sold are good ones - it needs to be properly placed and distanced for the screen on the tank -- you want surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- analogs are good for ambient temps only
https://www.beardeddragon.org/resources/brumation-in-bearded-dragons.4/
Do you have a weight on the dragon? You dont want them brumating for longer than 3 months - I recommend you get the dragon out every 2-3 weeks get a weight and offer water -- weigh the dragon in grams on a kitchen food scale - have you been giving vitamins w/ beta carotene on her insects? She needs vitamins if shes not eating greens- what have you tried to entice her to the salad bowl?
no i haven’t weighed her i’ll do it today, no i haven’t been giving her vitamins on her insects is there a brand you recommend? i’ve tried bee pollen silk worms hornworms and i’ve tried a lot of different kinds of veggies as well. her lighting should be fine she doesn’t have a issue with it. her night time ambient temps can get slightly low but other than that it’s good.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
no i haven’t weighed her i’ll do it today, no i haven’t been giving her vitamins on her insects is there a brand you recommend? i’ve tried bee pollen silk worms hornworms and i’ve tried a lot of different kinds of veggies as well. her lighting should be fine she doesn’t have a issue with it. her night time ambient temps can get slightly low but other than that it’s good.
Please tell me the brand and bulb your using for the UVB- if its a T 8 it needs to go in the tank -- if its a T 5 it can be on the screen but that screen needs to be wide hole type --- distance will be determined by placement -how old is the UVB bulb? Again that is determined by the T 5 or T 8 bulb -- is she getting calcium D3 once a week on her insects? she would also need calcium w/ out D3 NO phosphorus the other days of the week - along w/ the vitamins- you can mix those together --1-1 ratio --lightly coated on the insects---- what are the low ambient temps? you dont want anything under 65 at night- the surface basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- I would get some BSFL for her to try on the salads they are a great staple feeder order large www.symtonbsf.com - did those worms lure her to the bowl that you tried? Some people have tried salad dressing for dragons I have never used it so that is a trial and error thing https://www.amazon.com/Nature-Zone-...=salad+dressing+for+beard,aps,175&sr=8-2&th=1

Latest posts