• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation or not

jiffymama

Bearded Dragon Egg
My guy will be a year next month. We were at the vet yesterday for a check up. Clean bill of health no parasites. As per the weather I'm in NY, he has slowed way down on eating and just sits around or goes to sleep really early. Vet told me captive dragons don't need to brumate. Said to just keep him active. Well, I feel bad doing that to him, but when I take him out then he will seem somewhat active, but I don't know if I can stand having him sleep for months!
So I guess my question is do I just leave him alone , or do what the vet says!
Ugh

Attachments

• 20211116_151419.jpg
    20211116_151419.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
If it is getting colder he may be going into brumation.

To avoid it, you wanna keep temperatures up even in the winter. I recommend a ceramic heat emitters add a little heat but no light.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My guy will be a year next month. We were at the vet yesterday for a check up. Clean bill of health no parasites. As per the weather I'm in NY, he has slowed way down on eating and just sits around or goes to sleep really early. Vet told me captive dragons don't need to brumate. Said to just keep him active. Well, I feel bad doing that to him, but when I take him out then he will seem somewhat active, but I don't know if I can stand having him sleep for months!
So I guess my question is do I just leave him alone , or do what the vet says!
Ugh
It is not good to have them not do what instinct is telling them to do --- let him brumate if that is what he is trying to do --- incorrect basking temps and UVB will simulate brumation behavior --- please go over those temps you have in the tank NO stick ons they are inaccurate you need a digital probe thermometer and NO coils for UVB --- I recommend you get a new vet --- www.arav.org ---

Latest posts