• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation or coccidia?

BeardedDragon65

Juvenile Dragon
I have no Idea if my dragon, squishy is in brumation or still has coccidia. He is not eating very much, but stays at a constant 530 grams. I dont know whether to keep medicating him or not. If he still has coccidia, wouldn't he be loosing weight? It is an intestinal parasite from what I've read. He's acting very similar to what he did when he had coccidia, but I'm also thinking he could have been in brumation while he had parasites as well, and hasnt completely gotten out of it. ANY help would be useful :).

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like you should have him rechecked with a reptile vet to see if further treatment should be done if your not sure...It's always important to make sure they are healthy going into and during brummation..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
If the vet gave you antibiotics you should finish the dose out. I believe with parasites they need to be rechecked after the first dose to see if it killed anything. Also may need to have 2 treatments.

My frogs were treated for parasites and they had to have one dose to kill the bugs then a second dose to kill the bugs that just hatched from any eggs that were laid.

BeardedDragon65

Juvenile Dragon
Alright, thanks for the help. I'll stop dosing him until they tell us what happened with the second fecal. Either its my stupidity of not answering the phone or theirs of not calling me, but I'm still not sure of the results. I was however, told to dose him for 8-10 days when I received the medicine, so hopefully that means if I've overdosed him it's nothing to harmful. I've been very stupid with this whole thing, but it's also pretty much the first time I've had to take a reptile to the vet other than annual checkups.

Latest posts