• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation Behaviour in July

lionthebeardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
A little information about his tank to save time: I have a now three year old beardie who lives in a 40 gallon tank with an Arcadia T5 UVB with a reflective hood (that I change every year and it has been changed recently). He lives on tile, and for food he eats mealworms and locusts, along with salad that I've actually struggled getting him to eat and so I gutload the insects with it so at least he's getting something. his tank temperature is roughly 30 degrees Celsius. He has been gradually getting more and more lethargic, not eating and no bowel movements. Now he sleeps all the time. I let him indulge in this for the past couple of days because I've noticed that I posted a similar thread of him being sleepy around this exact time last year, and am curious whether this is a normal thing because I was worried last year he was sick, and was worried this year until I noticed the pattern. Is this at all possible? I am in the northern hemisphere and obviously he's meant to be brumating in the winter, but he's always had a very strong instinct to brumate early, and even tried doing so when he was no more than a hatchling. I feel like I have done a little too much interference over the years trying to make him act like a 'normal' bearded dragon, meaning I've tried to get him to stay awake until September/October when it's colder and he's meant to sleep, and what I'm wondering now is should I try just letting him have control over his brumation? I'm curious because the fact this happened the same time last year suggests it may be instinctual, but I obviously don't want to harm him. Well done if you read all that, and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Uploaded a picture for fun, not really related he's just very pretty.

Attachments

• IMG_9764.jpeg
    IMG_9764.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A little information about his tank to save time: I have a now three year old beardie who lives in a 40 gallon tank with an Arcadia T5 UVB with a reflective hood (that I change every year and it has been changed recently). He lives on tile, and for food he eats mealworms and locusts, along with salad that I've actually struggled getting him to eat and so I gutload the insects with it so at least he's getting something. his tank temperature is roughly 30 degrees Celsius. He has been gradually getting more and more lethargic, not eating and no bowel movements. Now he sleeps all the time. I let him indulge in this for the past couple of days because I've noticed that I posted a similar thread of him being sleepy around this exact time last year, and am curious whether this is a normal thing because I was worried last year he was sick, and was worried this year until I noticed the pattern. Is this at all possible? I am in the northern hemisphere and obviously he's meant to be brumating in the winter, but he's always had a very strong instinct to brumate early, and even tried doing so when he was no more than a hatchling. I feel like I have done a little too much interference over the years trying to make him act like a 'normal' bearded dragon, meaning I've tried to get him to stay awake until September/October when it's colder and he's meant to sleep, and what I'm wondering now is should I try just letting him have control over his brumation? I'm curious because the fact this happened the same time last year suggests it may be instinctual, but I obviously don't want to harm him. Well done if you read all that, and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Uploaded a picture for fun, not really related he's just very pretty.
Let him do his thing---- if all is good in the tank then we can rule that out for cause- get a weight on him now keep track - offer water every couple of weeks and a weight on him -- if hes losing a lot of weight then there is another issue going on --

lionthebeardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Let him do his thing---- if all is good in the tank then we can rule that out for cause- get a weight on him now keep track - offer water every couple of weeks and a weight on him -- if hes losing a lot of weight then there is another issue going on --
Will do, thanks for replying

Latest posts