• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation before 1 year old?

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
This is Puff. We got him last Sept. He's about 9 months old now, 315 grams, 15 inches long. He has lost 9 grams in the past couple of weeks. His protein intake had decreased considerably. He used to eat daily or every other day. Now, last he ate was 3 wax worms a week ago. I usually feed him dubias, supers, wax worms.
He was eating his greens daily until the last couple of days. I usually feed him dandelion, or mustard greens.
He still has the fat pads on his head that I've read about.
He hasn't been moving around much in his cage. But will move around and seem more alert when I take him out.

Could this be brumation? Or do I need to start testing him for things. I did a fecal on him late fall that was negative. He hasn't been exposed to any other reptiles.

Any thoughts?
bd79d124f0cf882c24dbd78a3323ece7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Are you in the states? just asking to see what season it is for you.. It is likely he just wants to slow down for a bit, or it can be he's not interested in the foods your offering or parasite issue even if he was previously testing clean...

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
Are you in the states? just asking to see what season it is for you.. It is likely he just wants to slow down for a bit, or it can be he's not interested in the foods your offering or parasite issue even if he was previously testing clean...
Yep. Southeastest US. I'll switch up the veggies today. And check another fecal as soon as he poops again. I have the ability to run bloodwork I just don't want to put him through that if it's not needed.

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
Apparently it just took me worrying and posting about him. Today he ates most of his greens then I walked by a bit later and he's all perked up and sun bathing in his light. He ate 2 large dubias and looked very happy:)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
They sure like to scare us! My oldest girl went on an eating strike for what seems like 2 years LOL! Blood work was good, no parasites, she was just a picky eater. Then a few months ago something snapped and she has been RAVENOUS! Now when I walk into the room she runs to the front of the tank wondering what i'm going to feed her.

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
They sure like to scare us! My oldest girl went on an eating strike for what seems like 2 years LOL! Blood work was good, no parasites, she was just a picky eater. Then a few months ago something snapped and she has been RAVENOUS! Now when I walk into the room she runs to the front of the tank wondering what i'm going to feed her.
Haha....lol. I know they don't show sickness much so it's always hard to tell!!! Puff has always been a lazy dragon. He likes to watch but doesn't move around a lot. Once it warms up I plan to take him out more but right now it's still chilly.

Latest posts