• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumating undercover

IrishBlaze

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi our dragon the last two days seems to be spending the entire time hidden under newspaper in his enclosure. He has a cave but never uses it. I think he may be brumating but there is no way he can be getting the uva or USB he needs. Should I disturb him and move him to the light for 8 hours? Also should his heat mat be on 24 hours or only at night when the lights go off. We are getting conflicting advice on this. His vivarium is solid wood on 4 sides with glass sliding doors to t h e front no mesh top. He does seem to hide under the paper in general yet his temps seem right thanks

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi our dragon the last two days seems to be spending the entire time hidden under newspaper in his enclosure. He has a cave but never uses it. I think he may be brumating but there is no way he can be getting the uva or USB he needs. Should I disturb him and move him to the light for 8 hours? Also should his heat mat be on 24 hours or only at night when the lights go off. We are getting conflicting advice on this. His vivarium is solid wood on 4 sides with glass sliding doors to t h e front no mesh top. He does seem to hide under the paper in general yet his temps seem right thanks
Incorrect heating temps and UVB will cause this kind of behavior-- please go over the surface basking temps and how your taking them-- NO analogs they are inaccurate please-- UVB is it a coil or long tube T 5 or a T 8 and what is the distance from the basking decor how old is the bulb? NO coils please they are inadequate

IrishBlaze

Bearded Dragon Egg
Incorrect heating temps and UVB will cause this kind of behavior-- please go over the surface basking temps and how your taking them-- NO analogs they are inaccurate please-- UVB is it a coil or long tube T 5 or a T 8 and what is the distance from the basking decor how old is the bulb? NO coils please they are inadequate
Hi thank you, I don't know what you mean 'analogues' I use a digital thermometer' The bulb is a dual uva / uvb and it's about 11/2 foot from the basking log. The heat pad is too hot so I only put put it on at night now

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi thank you, I don't know what you mean 'analogues' I use a digital thermometer' The bulb is a dual uva / uvb and it's about 11/2 foot from the basking log. The heat pad is too hot so I only put put it on at night now
Please get rid of the heat pad- dragons heat from their backs - if you need a heat lamp at night please get a CHE ceramic heat emitter- temps at night should be 65-75 ambient- the bulb is in a dome and two separate bulbs? Is it a MVB mercury vapor bulb? That is a all in one that provides UVB / heat--- analogs are stick ons - you need a digital probe thermometer 2 of them like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...mometer-14914.html?cgid=500113&fmethod=Browse
this is a coil UVB they are no good and will cause all kinds of health issues https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...nt-bulb-16227.html?cgid=500110&fmethod=Browse
this is a MVB https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...-mercury-vapor-bulb-66435.html?fmethod=Search this is a bad brand and is no good --- there are better brands for this bulb - but I wanted to show you what it would look like

Latest posts