• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumating almost 3 months!

Savra mitera

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi. :) I have a healthy big guy who recently turned 2. I’ve had him since he was itty bitty. I can’t recall exactly how long he brumated last year, but it was only for a few weeks and not continuous. He’d sleep for a week and then be awake for a few days before going back in his hide for more sleep. This year he started off like this mid October…slept for a couple of weeks and then woke up for a few days, ate a few scant nibbles, had a massive poo and promptly returned to his hide and he’s been in there ever since. He changes his position every day or two and when his face is visible, sometimes his eyes are open a small slit. I’ve been keeping his lights on the same schedule and aside from looking in his enclosure a couple of times a day, am leaving him to do his thing. In a few days, he’ll have been in brumation for 3 months. I’ve read that it can last for up to 4 months. Is this correct or should I be worried?
Also, in the 2 months right before brumating, he packed on a whopping 84 Gms. Not sure how he managed that as I don’t think I fed him any more than usual. Is this normal to prepare for brumation?

Badwolfe

Hatchling Dragon
If your dragon isn't active dont feed him. If he does wake up and come out at any point you can feed him a small amount of food but don't overdo it.

Make sure your dragon still has access to water during the entire process because keeping him hydrated is vital

Lights can be reduced to 8 hours a day and temperatures can be lowered (just make sure they don't drop below 65f during the night)

By the end of February at the latest you want to bring him out of brumation. Over the course of a week gradually increase the lighting from 8 hours back up to his normal 12-14 hours a day and increase the vivarium temps back up to their normal levels

A period of Brumation from October to February is fairly normal for us in the northern hemisphere but I wouldn't recommend letting it go longer than that

Hope this helps

Savra mitera

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
If your dragon isn't active dont feed him. If he does wake up and come out at any point you can feed him a small amount of food but don't overdo it.

Make sure your dragon still has access to water during the entire process because keeping him hydrated is vital

Lights can be reduced to 8 hours a day and temperatures can be lowered (just make sure they don't drop below 65f during the night)

By the end of February at the latest you want to bring him out of brumation. Over the course of a week gradually increase the lighting from 8 hours back up to his normal 12-14 hours a day and increase the vivarium temps back up to their normal levels

A period of Brumation from October to February is fairly normal for us in the northern hemisphere but I wouldn't recommend letting it go longer than that

Hope this helps
Yes, you’ve helped a great deal. I wasn’t sure if I should be worried and you’ve eased my fears.
Is it somewhat normal that he gained so much weight in the couple of months prior to starting brumation? Was he building up his fat stores or was his metabolism starting the process of slowing down?

Badwolfe

Hatchling Dragon
Yes, you’ve helped a great deal. I wasn’t sure if I should be worried and you’ve eased my fears.
Is it somewhat normal that he gained so much weight in the couple of months prior to starting brumation? Was he building up his fat stores or was his metabolism starting the process of slowing down?
could well have been a combination of both

Latest posts