• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bringing beardie outside

amyl518

Bearded Dragon Egg
So the weather is warming up here in New England and I'm interested in bringing my guy out during the day. He's a few years old and the person I got him from did not know how to raise him at all! I'm so glad I took him in. He seems so much happier and is getting to enjoy normal beardie things! (Like eating real cut up fruits and veggies every day instead of jarred baby food every couple of days). Despite where he came from and the little attention he received, he is such a sweetheart! He's so calm and laid back, let's the cats sniff him and loves to be held. Anyway, enough bragging [emoji5] With the weather warming up I'd like to take Ramsey (aka Bubba) outside but I'm not sure how long he can be out there. Assuming the temp is warm enough, it's not too humid and he has a shelter, can he be out with me for a couple hours? Is there a time limit if he has a place to get out of the sun? I made him a temporary harness today, just something I threw together quick so I could take him out. I only brought him out for 20 min since it's not quite hot enough but he really loved it, although about a half hour after going back into his enclosure he went into his hiding spot which is something he hasn't done in a long time. Could it be stress? It was about an hr before his bed time. Maybe just ready to relax for the night? I hope I didn't make him upset! Also, is being in the grass ok if it's not treated with any pesticides/herbicides? Thanks in advance for the help! The bearded dragon thing is new to me although I did own an iguana years ago. It's a little bit different!
uploadfromtaptalk1430611763945.jpg

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey Amy – in their natural habitat they're outside 24/7. It doesn't sound like your guy has been outside though. Start slowly and build up. This is a new experience for him – so he may have been a little concerned about it.I would definitely recommend some type of enclosure.for his safety and your peace of mind. They can overheat – so a hide is absolutely essential. Maybe not so much in new England but down here in sunny southern Arizona it can get right toasty. I wish I had grass to put my beardies on.

Dana92

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'd definatly recommend getting a little enclosure for him. I took my littl guy out in the grass once and he ran right under the neighbors fence! You can get a little playpen like enclosure in most petstores. They do sell lizard harnesses as well!

Andyurgay

Hatchling Dragon
our beardies are soaking up the sun these last few weeks. They get out in an enclosure that is 12x 6x 4, solid wood and metal siding, they have a simple metal over hang that gives shade, a pool, some basking branches and non toxic plants to hide in if they want. Everytime I bring Lané in, he claws at the "plant" background until I let him run around the room.

they love it. And making a beardie run is super easy and cheap. We have had ours up for 5 years with only a few tweaks to fix old warping boards.

we have a video of it and 4 of our old rescue beardies enjoying it when it was built. I can help explain how it was built it if you want. My brother made it but it only cost about $50 USD.

amyl518

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the replies! I was worried about him spending too much time outside but duh, that's their natural habitat! If I use an enclosure it has be something I can take inside every night since I live in an apartment complex. I was thinking about getting one of those rabbit playpens and setting it up in an area where he can get some shade too. I wouldn't be able to leave him out all day anyway but I could definitely bring him out for a couple of hours and soak up the sun with him! For now I'm using a homemade harness which he doesn't seem to mind at all. Am I right that I need to keep him in if the humidity is above 65%?

Latest posts