• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding Translucents

luissandoval87

Hatchling Dragon
I know the question has been up for debate since the beginning of the translucent morphs, but is it okay now? I read that the translucent morph began very weak because of inbreeding. I also read some people who really frown upon doing so and some breeders who dismiss even working with the translucent morph as a whole. I guess since they're fairly "new" there is still much confusion regarding trans. I read that Josh D was one of the pioneers of the trans morph, I'd like to talk to him about it, but he's hard to get a hold of. I also don't think he'd like to spend an hour or two talking to me about the history of translucents. I'm not really planning on breeding any I just want to know.
-Luis

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, I have not had a issue breeding translucents. Many say you will have issues breeding trans to trans but it is simply not true.. Its a co dom disorder that has in time gotten stronger overtime from breeding new genetics into the gene pool so to say :p.

luissandoval87

Hatchling Dragon
I actually own a male who is translucent and a female although they are waaayyy to young to breed I was just wondering. I started doing some research and came up with a lot of confusing information. I read the post Coliosis, and I gathered you took that female in who was in bad shape. You brought her back up to speed and she laid eggs, they hatched and you had one bad hatchling. It's kind of hard to tell if the birth defect was due to a bad breeding pair or simply because she was malnourished. I don't see it as a clear case of breeding translucents. As far as the rest of the babies, the post said they were healthy, but they only lived four weeks :( I found a post where a person talks bad about this (breeding transXtrans) on beardeddragon.org, but then Josh D steps in and tries to clarify the situation. This is why I'm confused. I've read it wasn't okay before but that the newer translucents have purer genetics, which is confirmed by what GilliesExotics says. I think it's hard to say at this point, I still have two years before I decide whether or not to breed them I guess. They're only 10 and 11 inches :)

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would have to agree.

Genetics can cause birth defects and it could have very well been the case but "generally" deformed babies come from improper nutrition to the mother before and during egg production and or improper incubation temps. The babies only living a few months would support either of the "general" reasons for this clutch to have problems.
Note:
Calcium and vit A along with other nutrients are crucial for egg development. Without these or insufficient means of these will only result in a weak or poorly developed neonate.

Coliosis

Bearded Dragon Egg
I guess it would all depend on what bearded dragons you are breeding together and what their bloodlines are like. luissandoval you are absolutely right about there being other factors involved that lead to mutated babies, like the fact that we had no idea who she was even bred with (and neither did her previous owner) so it could have been her brother for all we know. Then the fact that she was in such bad shape to begin with... :( So in my case there are too many other variables to say for sure it was due to the transXtrans for a fact, but I was told by a few breeders who had some experience with transXtrans that all my babies would appear to be normal and healthy and then would all die before they were 4 weeks old (due to being transXtrans). Unfortunately they were almost exactly right, I had one baby make it 4 weeks and 1 day. It was very sudden too, they would be eating fine and acting normal one day, then the next morning I would notice they weren't eating any more and by later that day or the next morning they would be gone. :(

Also, in my case, there were other mutations involved as well. It wasn't just transXtrans, it was a hypo trans leatherback X hypo trans, so more room for error I'm assuming.

Gilliesexotics, so you have been breeding trans to trans successfully then? Do you prefer to breed trans X het trans, I've heard this way is much more successful?