• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

breaking baby beardie bad habits

Chelsey

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Almost daily for about 2 weeks now I've been welcomed home from work to find Worley has either pooped in his water bowl or on top of his greens (more times it is his food bowl). I always empty the bowl and give it a good cleaning before refilling it. It always happens when I am at work so I don't know how early in the day he does this, but I don't want him getting sick by eating or drinking his own poop accidentally. One day I came back to my apartment within 15 minutes of leaving the first time because I forgot something and noticed he had already added a "decoration" to his fresh salad. He doesn't poop anywhere in his viv, and rarely poops during his daily baths too.

Is there a way to break this habit or at least not get him to poop in his food or water (so he can eat/drink during the day)?

Also, is this normal?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pooping on his food isn't as normal as pooping in the water.
I wouldn't worry about him getting sick from his own feces though. I believe young reptiles often eat adult feces to gut load themselves with bacteria.
As for any kind of "training" - good luck! ;) :) - be sure to let us know how it goes! ;)

Chelsey

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I figured the pooping in his water was normal.
And eww gross, but as long as he can't get sick from it.

I have no clue how to train him, so I'll just keep cleaning the dishes. Hopefully he'll stop on his own. It makes clean up a bit easier when it is contained in one-two spots.

Latest posts