• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brand new dragon mommy!!

Cricket'sdragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
20180605_120051.jpg
20180605_120236.jpg
20180605_115527.jpg
Hi Everyone! I have been a mommy to my very first bearded Dragon for one hour now! I found out I was getting her only last night so I will be learning on the fly! The first responsible thing I did as a new pet owner what sign up to this site for help, education and bragging right regarding my Dragon. My name is Cricket and This is my rescued dragon Petrie.
She weighs in at 13.5oz and appears to be a bit over 18 inches. I am this girls 3rd home! The people GAVE her to me habitat and all. (The neighbor across the street)
Who took her from her first owner. The neighbor had her about 6 months and bearly handled her. But she seems health and tame enough.
She is just under two years old, but I do not know her birthday.
I am glad to be here and can't wait to start learning. Any help or advise would be appreciated. Thanks Cricket

Aerries

Hatchling Dragon
Pretty girl, honestly imo I have my dragons both in two 75 gal tanks. Yours is about the size of mine but looks healthy welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan S

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey there, I am a fellow first time and rehome for a beardie. Had my little girl for a couple months now (she is 4), so I can share some experiences.

First, don't assume anything, go ahead and get your beardie checked out by a vet. Mine had never been, and even though she was healthy and all, it was great having that peace of mind. Plus, the vet can give you a lot of good information... mine sat and talked for a good half hour and gave some great info.

Second, even if your beardie hadn't been handled a lot previously, don't be worried about showing affection. It is important to start bonding early. Some people say 15 minutes or so, but I would hold my beardie as long as she wanted and she would let me know when she was done (moving to jump down, etc).

Also, don't just put her back in the tank afterward. Let her roam around, explore her new surroundings, get used to her new home. Mine was cautious at first, but inquisitive. Now, she roams the house like she owns the place. In fact, she rarely wants to be in her cage unless she is feeding or basking. Or sleeping, but she also is content sleeping in whatever shady, protective spot she finds around the house. Anyway, both of these are important to helping them get over the stress of being rehomed.

Very important thing, don't freak out over changes. Case in point with mine, she turned grey in certain spots on her body and was very lethargic for a couple weeks. I thought I might have been doing something wrong. Turns out, she was just going through a shed. In fact now that she is done with her shed, she is almost like a totally new dragon. I am by no means saying just ignore changes you see, just not to freak out. Could be normal dragon things.

Finally, be prepared to be short on cash for a bit, because you are going to spend some money on things for your new little bundle of spikey cuddles. From foodstuffs to new playthings. It looks like you have a great setup already for her (especially that cave rock... mine LOVES her cave rock), but you will go to a pet store and see something cool that she doesn't have and it will wind up at the cashier with the dragon groceries. It will happen. Trust me on that.

Ryan S

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh, I should clarify something about letting her wander and explore. I'm not suggesting to let her roam completely free, especially not at first. You never know what nooks and crannies you have that she could get into until you see her trying to get into them. Normally they are fine and all, but you'll find things like a stray power strip that you need to cap an open outlet. Or an appliance you need to put something under to keep her from sliding beneath (like the stove... or the dishwasher). If you have carpet, need to make sure she won't get her talons snagged. And, of course, seeing what she'll try to climb, because that happens, too.

Plus, if you have other pets, have to make sure they all get along. There's two dogs and two cats in my place, and fortunately, everyone gets along. But she came from a home with dogs and cats, and the dogs and cats in mine obviously have been used to each other and recognize that someone inside the house is family. But not all pets get along, unfortunately. I could tell you horror stories about trying to bring my mom's cat home to watch. So that's also something to be mindful of.

If you do decide to let her wander around, I'm sure you'll be watchful at first anyway, like I was. Watching them run around and explore is sheer entertainment.

Cricket'sdragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
The doll arms are creeping me out, but welcome!

Maybe a doll arm landscape for your dragon?
Lol! Sorry I am a reborn doll artist! I will try to be more mindful of my pictures in the future!
I had a worrysome week as Petrie and I got to know each other. At first I couldn't get her to eat a thing. At first I think it was the upset from the move, but later I realized her heat lamp had burnt out! I went and got her a new light yesterday and to day I got to see her hunt crickeys. She was even eating them out of my hand! I would hold it out in front of her real still like and....out comes her tounge to gently claim her prize!! She also took a piece of brocklie from my hand. I feel so much better she is starting to wat, I would hate to be responsible for destroying such a beautiful animal. Looking forward to the learning curve.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Under my comment there are links to some good resources.

One thing I want to mention up front is they need a tube style UVB bulb and a white light basking bulb. Colored lights at any time of day are bad for them. During the day it doesn't let their pupils contract properly and can damage them over time. At night it disrupts their sleep cycle. They have a gland on top of their head that allows them to see light and shadow when their eyes are closed. So if they see shadow they may think they are being hunted.

Sand for substrate has it's issues. If you have a well hydrated dragon, if they are on children's play sand, it shouldn't be a problem. But sand can cause impaction in dragons that can't pass it. It also harbors bacteria, even though you clean the poop out, there is still a little that stays behind.

Also get a temp gun or a digital probe thermometer. The stick on temp gauges only measure the temp of the glass in an area where your dragon can't get to.

For being passed around, she looks to be in good shape!