• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brand New Beardie In Our Home

MoCkIn U

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi All!!

My name is Kelley and I am from Wisconsin. This weekend I went and got a beardie here locally from a craigslist ad. He is fairly big. Owner said to be 3 years old. I got the 20 or so gal tank, stand, single bulb spot lamp and the beardie for $125. I didnt need the tank or stand but was a great price for the pet. Got it home looked him over really well and even tho his colors arent right he seems really healthy and easy to handle with my 3 year old so he was handled a ton it appears.

The spot lamp I got I thought would have a heat bulb in it of some nature as this was his only provided light source but it was a 100watt bulb like I would put in my home closet. Nothing beneficial to him at all.

We have a 50 gal aquarium I cleaned up with jurassi clean to make sure all was good. I also baked up the wood piece he came with and the existing driftwood I have. I went to the local menards and picked up some nicely textured tile to put in the bottom of this thing which a buddy is cutting into the right dimensions for me until then I have simple shelf liner there as a substrate right now.

My daughter hasnt name him yet so that is to come Im sure. She is 3 so she only says his name is "dragon" which Im sure is typical or even could be motivated by her current favorite dvd "how to train a dragon" or something of that.......I cant remember the title but I assure you I can quote specific scenes. All of you parents understand that one Im sure.

Okay so.......

Question:

We have a 150watt zoomed basking lamp for the heat source. I was looking for a reptisun 10.0 48" bulb locally to no success until my wifey called and said she found one and was so excited I said great bring it home....I didnt ask, not her fault. We are learning together but its a reptiglo 5.0 bulb. This enclosure is 17" tall and 47" long. I have the basking spot at 95 degrees with the cooler area to the right at 80 degrees at bottom of the enclosure. I have the temps right but not sure he is getting the light needed. Can I leave like this and supplement with the calcium coating for the crickets he is currently getting. There are probably tons of opinions but there are far more experts and experienced people than I out there. Even with all of my research before getting him I still have few questions to search up on and this is one. As things sit right now we are off to get a different holder for that heat lamp as I need a deeper one to get the bulb off the screen. The existing one will be for a radiant bulb as it will get cold here.....Im sure it might get below 65 degrees in some places around my place.

Cant wait to get the lighting right and diet down to see some of his colors brighten up in his body like are in his head. The enclosure is plain and simply right now cause appearance is 2nd to getting everything setup right and get him settled before too many more changes. Pics below taken after feeding a few crickets as he is on the prowl for more......

IMAG0335.jpg

IMAG0334.jpg

Any tips would be appreciated.

MoCkIn U

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I guess the question is if I leave this bulb as is and supplement with the calcium could I put a smaller spot light for the UVB range of light on the basking side???

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Personally, I'd get the 30" repti Sun 10.0 and a 40-50 watt flood light for heat... I grew up in Minnesota, up by Duluth, so I remember those winters cooooold.

Hope this helps !

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
MoCkIn U said:
The spot lamp I got I thought would have a heat bulb in it of some nature as this was his only provided light source but it was a 100watt bulb like I would put in my home closet. Nothing beneficial to him at all.

You can use those bulbs, they are the same thing as the reptile basking bulbs without the higher price. I use regular bulbs for both of my dragons. Check out the link for Pet Mountain on the main page of this site. They sell reptisun 48 in bulbs there for about $25 after shipping.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi and welcome to the forum! Congrats on your new family addition.

UV light is very important for a dragon to digest their food properly. Temps are also key for the digestion process. For a 3 year old, I would say between 95F and 100F are ideal. Cool side should be around 85F. Night temps should not fall below 65F.

I am partial to the ReptiSun 10.0 tube for UV light. Basking light can be what you have or a regular household bulb. You'll need to play around with watts.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Personally, when I used a 55g for my beardies, I used a 36" UVB lamp. It wasn't too long and let me drop it down inside the tank so I could get it closer to their basking surface. Ideally, this would be around 6 to 8 inches max (from basking surface). With flourescent UVB tubes, the closer, the better. Well....within reason! One must use common sense.

I've custom built all my enclosures and have dimmers that I use to dial in the basking surface temps. That way, I can install a larger wattage bulb than is necessary and dim it to just the right wattage. This gives me room to increase temps in the winter when it gets colder.

Oh....and make sure that shelf liner is non-adhesive. With the higher temps necessary for basking, adhesive can outgas....and cause concern for issues down the road.

Sounds like this beardie is going to have a really nice home! Welcome to MyBeardie! Looking forward to hearing more from you and being updated on pics.

For reference, here's the setup I had when I used a 55g tank.

TempCage.jpg

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Welcome to you and the new addition.

I can only echo what everyone else here said, Temps are vitally important.
And if you can, rather get a UVB 10.0 sooner than later.

Enjoy the stay with us.

MoCkIn U

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I ordered the reptisun 10.0 48" bulb. Hopefully it makes it here intact. I ordered one at my local store and it came to them all shattered so hopefully pet mountain can get it to me all safe :p

I got the tile in the bottom of it yesterday for him. Earlier than I thought. Snap a pic of that later. Its gotta be a ton easier for the little guy then sand and all the issues that can cause for him.

I gotta get a better way of measuring temps. This slow moving probe isnt cutting it. Didnt wanna spend on a infrared one but seems I gotta just for ease of use and quick results. Think his temps are a little lower then I want them to be assuming this cheapy probe I have is accurate. He is practically standing up trying to get closer to the heat lamp so gotta raise his basking spot or up the watt in that bulb......maybe both.

Luckily he isnt picky and I have a good history of what he was fed so that part is easy.

MoCkIn U

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Not a camera guy at all but grabbed it anyway to get some shots after a bath. he hadnt pooped since I had him home on sunday so looked up a few tricks and the olive oil'd cricket didnt get him moving but boy a warm soaking bath sure got it there......hes all good now and of course a nice mess for me to clean up. Think Im going to get a seperate tuperware tray for him to bath in from now on. Not sure about that happening in the sink I use to cook in no matter what cleaning products I use LOL

IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

this one bugged that it was out of focus.......I didnt see it either, can you see what happened??? Its all in the "reflection". played tricks on my eye balls still

IMG_1824.jpg

got some work to do with the look and toys for him but right now its about light/heat/diet. The rest will come

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1829.jpg

wish this image was as big here as it is at home. The detail is amazing to me!!

IMG_1826.jpg

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Great pics! Love how the camera focused on the image in the background. ;D

Beardie and setup look great! Got a name, yet?

Latest posts